Sunday, February 24, 2013

Everybody Loves Carter!



This weekend we traveled to Topeka so Carter could meet lots of family on his daddy’s side for the first time.  Ty had taken Thursday and Friday off work and we planned to leave Thursday morning.  Unfortunately, while we received only about an inch of snow that was mostly melted the next day, Topeka got over a foot of snow and some highways in Kansas were even closed.  So our trip was postponed by a day and we left Friday morning instead.

Carter got to meet both sets of great grandparents, 2nd cousins, great aunts, a great uncle, and some good friends!  My brother Thomas also made the 2 hour trip to visit with his nephew for the weekend.  It is such an awesome thing to see how much Carter is loved by so many people!  I love sitting and watching the joy he brings to their hearts.
Four Generations: Ty, his dad, Carter, Ty's grandpa.

Carter is smiling and cooing quite a bit now.  This past week he’d smile here and there during the day, but not a whole lot.  This weekend he really hammed it up for all his new pals, smiling all the time and talking.  I love how much he is growing up!  
Grandma and Grandpa
 I also love how much more he is sleeping.  We had gotten to the 4 hour mark with overnight sleep a few weeks ago.  Last night he slept for 5!  We have been sleep training.  It is hard to set the timer and listen to him cry, but we can tell it is working.  Each night he has cried less.  

Granparents, Parents, Great Grandparents
 We had been dealing with a midnight bedtime.  I would rock him to sleep and put him down, he’d sleep 15-30 minutes, he’d cry, I’d get him, rock him again and it would cycle back around.  We’d start at 9:00 and go until 12:00.  One night this process continued until 2 am and I was losing it!  I decided it was time to stop rocking him.  When he would start crying I’d set a timer for 5 minutes.  At the end of 5 minutes I would go in give him his pacifier (he only takes it at nap and nighttime), sing to him a bit, and leave.  I couldn’t believe it the first night when he was asleep at 11:30!  We slowly worked from 11:30 to 11:00 to 10:30 to 10:00 last night.  Tonight I’m hoping for 9:30.   

No comments:

Post a Comment