Thursday, July 25, 2013

Our Power Outage

Yesterday was a crazy day.  It all started around 1:30 am when Ty's phone made a hideously loud and scary noise.  When Ty gets woken up he cannot function and is disoriented and confused.  When I wake up I can function and usually can make sense of things within a few minutes.  That may come from previous experiences with Ty waking me up and asking me questions while he was sleep walking and now waking up multiple times a night to take care of Carter.
Getting woken up in the middle of the night isn't too bad when you walk in to this.
So Ty reached for his phone slapping around and acting like a crazy person.  His reaction scared me because I was convinced he must be fighting off an intruder with sweet ninja moves, but then I realized he was attempting to reach his phone to turn off the alarm.  While he did all that I laid there wondering why his phone made that weird noise and came to the conclusion that it must be his tornado alert he set up on his phone after we both slept through some serious weather that resulted in tornado sirens going off in a town about 10 miles from us.

When Ty was finished ninja chopping his phone I asked him if that was his tornado alert.  He groggily replied with, "There's a tornado?" which for some reason frustrated me so I told him, "I don't know, check."  We searched online and found a report of tornadic activity southeast of us.  Around that time I noticed it was really hot in the bedroom and Ty looked up and saw the ceiling fan wasn't moving.  We had lost power.

There was nothing we could do about it so we went back to sleep.  Carter woke up at 2:30 and I checked for power, it was still out.  At 4:00 Carter woke up again.  When I got up it seemed to be cooler than it had been so I checked again and the power was still out.  At this point I was getting really worried.  The week before I had just made a month's worth of baby food for Carter which was in the freezer.  I had also been pumping once a day to build up a stock pile before I go back to work.  I just couldn't deal with losing all of that!  6:30 came around and we still had no power.  I realized I needed to find a freezer for Carter's precious food.  I texted my co-teacher to see if she had power.  I didn't get a response.  Carter woke up around 8:00, I fed him, and we headed out for a run.

As we were taking off on our run I got a response from my co-teacher.  She had power and said I could put Carter's food in her freezer.  I cut my run short which was probably a good thing as there were branches and even a couple trees down across the trail.  Small branches would fly up in the front wheel and cause it to lock up.  I headed straight for Quiktrip to pick up ice.  The ice freezer was decimated, but I was able to get 2 bags.  I got home around 10:30 and was ecstatic because the food was still frozen.  I checked the thermometer in the freezer which was at 32 degrees so I decided to trash the milk.

Ty's work didn't have power either so they sent him home at noon.  He went for a run and got home around 2:00.  Finally around 2:30 in the afternoon our power came back on.  Luckily the high yesterday was 91 degrees instead of the 100 degrees it had been.

Now for the exciting news.  Carter slept through the night last night, 8pm-7am, all the way through!!!  I woke up at 7:00 and had to lay and think about it for a while.  Even when I realized he'd slept through the night, I still didn't quite believe it.  My random thought:
How cute would it be if Carter first crawled toward a book?!!?


  1. Yeah! He slept through the night! Congratulations!

    1. Then he woke up twice last night, so we'll see what happens.