Friday, December 6, 2013

Carter's First Snow Day

Today Carter and I enjoyed his first snow day.  School was cancelled for me and daycare was closed for Carter.  In true snow day fashion we both wore our jammies all day long.  We started our morning at the window watching the snow fall.  Carter loved looking at the blanket of white covering our backyard.  He also seemed intrigued by the flakes slowly drifting down from the sky.  Harper joined us at the window for part of the morning.

After breakfast and some snuggles I decided it was time to go out into the snow.  It was getting close to Carter's nap time, but it was supposed to stop snowing within 30 minutes and I wanted him to experience the falling snow.  We went out front first to get pictures similar to his first snow pictures from last year.  He wasn't too pleased to be wearing his coat and fussed a little bit, so we didn't stay out long.


When we went back inside I grabbed a blanket because I thought Carter's bottom getting cold may have been part of the problem.  We headed into the backyard and took Harper out with us.  Carter enjoyed it a lot more with a blanket underneath him and Harper running circles around the backyard, looping right by him.  He watched her and laughed.  Then she got really excited and bounded up to him attempting to get him to play.  As she did, she bumped into him and knocked him over.  The moment he fell backward he was done and we headed inside.

Harper running laps around Carter.

Laughing at Harper.

Harper spraying snow up on Carter as she ran by.
Thinking he may like the snow a bit more in the comfort and heat of the house, I brought a bowl of snow into the kitchen.  Carter sat and stared at the snow for a long time before deciding to check it out.  When he finally put his hand into the bowl and touched the snow he instantly cried, realizing how cold it was.  After the initial touch he had quite a bit more fun playing with it and tossing it around.  I put a couple small containers in the snow which he enjoyed playing with.  Then he decided to eat a little bit which also resulted in some tears.  All of the crying may have been in part due to the fact that it was very close to his nap time.  I tossed the snow back outside and prepared him for his nap.



Hmm, how will it taste?
Harper was worried about Carter.
Carter napped for an hour and then enjoyed a snack, snuggles, and some playtime before we headed back outside.  Since he was rested and had a full belly he had a blast in the snow.  He was still all about watching Harper run her laps, but this time he wanted to walk through the snow toward her.  I was amazed at how well he walked especially with how high the snow went up his legs.  Almost the entire time we were outside Carter was laughing at Harper and I was laughing at his pure joy.  I was dying to get a picture of him standing in the snow to show how tall it was against his legs.  So we went inside and anxiously awaited Ty's arrival.




Ty arrived home earlier than normal and we went straight outside to play in the snow.  Ty enjoyed seeing Carter walk through the snow and even took a video.  It was so much fun to be outside as a family, enjoying Carter's first time walking in the snow together. 


My parents came for the weekend because we had registered for the Jingle Bell 5k which was supposed to run on Saturday.  Due to the icy road conditions the race was cancelled, but my parents decided to come anyway.  They brought a sled and some mittens for Carter.  I am looking forward to pulling Carter around in the sled tomorrow.  Although the forecast predicts a temperature of 12 degrees when the race was supposed to start, I'm disappointed we won't get to run it.  Last year I dressed as Santa with my giant baby belly and ran the race as my last 5k before Carter was born (which ended up being the Friday following the race).  What a difference in weather between the 2 years.  Last year I ran in shorts!  More on last year's race here.
Carter is sleeping on brand new Christmas sheets tonight thanks to his grammy and grampy!

2 comments:

  1. Those sheets are awesome! So are the pictures of Carter with the snow! So glad you got a snow day home with Carter! Meanwhile, I had to break my run up with some walking because I didn't want the dog to overheat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is craziness! I wasn't quite ready for the weather to get so cold, but the snow was a lot of fun!

      Delete