Thursday, December 5, 2013

Here Comes the Snow

Weather forecasts were projecting snow and ice mix today starting in the early afternoon and continuing throughout the day.  Everyone was abuzz with the possibility of a snow day on Friday.  I was a bit disappointed when I left school at lunchtime to see Carter and the clouds were half-heartedly spitting snow down from the sky in on and off spurts. 

Hoping for a snow day!
By the time school dismissed the roads were bad enough that the buses were 20 minutes late to pick up students.  That put me late leaving to pick Carter up for the day.  When I made it to my car there was a thick layer of ice I had to scrape off my windshield before leaving.  The roads were much worse than I expected so I drove about 20 mph the entire way to daycare.  I arrived at daycare 30 minutes later than usual.  Carter's daycare is affiliated with the school system I work in and closes when school is cancelled.  Teachers were still talking about the possibility of a snow day as I headed out with Carter.
Bundled up in the car.  His coat comes off in the car so his car seat straps are tight against his body for safety.

On the way home I got the news that school had already been cancelled for Friday.  I was surprised, I was expecting an early morning cancellation.  We slow poked it home and made it a little bit after 5:00.  Growing up I always got so excited for snow days and as a teacher I still got the same joy from seeing my school's name scroll by on the bottom of the tv screen during school cancellation postings.  None of that joy compared to how I felt today.  I am overjoyed that I get a day home with Carter tomorrow.  Just me and Carter wearing jammies most likely all day long and probably never leaving the house.  Raise your mugs of hot cocoa and say a cheer for snow days.  Not just for me but for all the students whose days were made before they even began. 

Busting out our slippers for our snow day!
Last year it snowed once and only stuck for a short amount of time.  I rushed outside with Carter for a few minutes to snap some pictures of his first snow, more here.  I'm excited to take him out in the snow tomorrow, for a very short amount of time since he doesn't have a snow suit and it won't be much over 20 degrees tomorrow, to see what he thinks of it this year!
Carter's first snow February 2012.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to seeing a Christmas sheet on his bed. :) Cute pictures, and enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete