Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cake Baking Party

In preparation for Carter's birthday party I searched for eggless cake recipes online.  For more information about discovering Carter's egg allergy read Ty's post here.  I found 4 different recipes I was interested in trying and already had an eggless frosting recipe that I love, so figured we'd just use it.  Ty's grandma, Carter's Gigi, is allergic to eggs so she also sent along a chocolate cake recipe which we will save for later on.  We're not sure Carter is ready for chocolate just yet.
I'm ready for my first bite of cake!

I figured I would make all 4 cakes on my own and then have everyone try them to see which was their favorite.  I put on my apron and went into the living room exclaiming, "Who wants to come to my cake baking party!"  To my surprise both Ty and my dad said they would.  My mom sat the party out, saying she'd like to be like the cat in the story of the Little Red Hen, let us do all the work and then eat at the end.  She had gotten up early with Carter that morning and ended up dozing off on the couch during the party.
Working on the batter with all the ingredients set out on the table.

I was in the kitchen first so I grabbed the recipe I had dubbed Recipe #1.  Ty was next, taking Recipe #2 and dad came in last fulfilling Recipe #3.  Just from looking at the recipes I figured Recipe #2 would be a favorite.  It called for 2 bananas (Carter loves banana) and artificial flavoring (we chose almond).  As we got started I was impressed that my batter actually tasted pretty good.  Ty had me try his and it was also pretty good, but tasted very strongly of banana.  My batter was quick and easy to make so I started on Recipe #4 as Ty and dad were finishing up their batter.  Dad finished up his batter and it tasted good, but was very mealy.  The recipe called for corn flour which we thought meant corn meal.  Later with some research we discovered corn flour is a term used for corn starch sometimes, so we think that's why Recipe #3 was such a flop.
Ty with a flour handprint on his tush which he made himself!

We put all the cakes in the oven together and anxiously awaited the cake tasting.  When the cakes were all finished baking Ty took them out and placed them around the table, each on a separate paper towel with the recipe number written on it.  I had marked the bottom of each cake pan with the recipe number to keep them straight.  Walking in I instantly noticed Recipe #3 had sunk in and had a large hole in the middle which of course got us to laughing.  We started with Recipe #1 which left us unimpressed.  I really hoped the next recipe was better!  We proceeded to Recipe #2 which everyone liked.  Then on to Recipe #3.  That's when things got interesting and brought out my favorite comment of the night.  My mom said, "The smell in horrendous, but it's actually quite tasteless."  Needless to say #3 was also out of contention immediately.  On to #4 we went.  We all liked the recipe, but agreed it just didn't compare to #2.

All of the finished cakes.

A close-up of Recipe #3 with Ty's thoughts before even trying it!
Thankfully we were able to find a recipe that we liked and also one that we know Carter will like.  We chose Recipe #2 which tasted quite a bit like banana.  It was what I referred to as a fancy banana bread.  I'm excited for him to take his first bite.  It may not be the cake we had ordered for him.  The cake from the same bakery that made our wedding cake and his gender reveal cake.  But it will be a cake.  He will smash it.  We will celebrate him reaching his first year of life.  Pictures will be taken.  Laughs will be shared.  Smiles will be captured.  And at the end of the day our sweet, happy, healthy boy will be a whole year old!  Ready or not, first birthday, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment