Saturday, December 14, 2013

One Year Ago Today

It's hard to believe a year ago I woke up looking like this:
Taken right before leaving for the hospital.

I rolled out of bed to realize my water had broken which began the most magical day of my life.  The day we got to meet our little Carter man!  Even just a year later the whole day is such a blur.  I remember everything but my memory is almost like I was in a fog.  Holding Carter for the first time was so amazing and weird at the same time.  He was angled on my chest in a way that I couldn't see his face.  I hadn't gotten a good look at him yet and was dying to see his face, so I was trying to strain around to look, but couldn't move due to the doctor stitching me up.  I finally gave up and just let his body melt into mine.  I let the warmth and softness of his skin wash into me and I was flooded with immense love.  When it was time for them to take him away for a bath it was so hard to let him go.  We had been together night and day for 9 months.  I couldn't stand the thought of being away from him.
Now here we are 365 days later.  My miniature baby has grown into a crawling, toddling with help, little boy.  He has blessed all of us with the most amazing year imaginable.  This has been the best year of my life.  A year full of laughter, love, snuggles, smiles, and dirty diapers.  I always wanted to be a mom and thought I would like it, but I had no idea how much joy it would bring me.  I feel like the happiest days before Carter don't even compare to the happiest days now.  He is the type of child who brightens any room.  His smile is contagious.  His laugh brings smiles wherever it is heard.  He is the best gift I've ever received and I have no idea how to match that with a gift on his birthday, especially his first!  Carter, dude, I love you forever and for always.  Thank you for being such an amazing boy.  I love you sooo much!  Happy Birthday!!!!
We love you!  Happy Birthday from Mommy and Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment