Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fall Reading

This summer while Carter and I participated in the summer reading program, I kept a list of our favorite books.  I enjoyed having a list of all the best books we read so I decided to make a fall reading list as well.  We love our weekly trips to the library and I get so excited when I find a new gem to add to our list.  Books of particular interest to me are about becoming a big brother or sister.  I want to have a list of great books compiled for when Carter is going to be a big brother.  Since the official start of winner is in just a few days, I figured today was a good day to post my fall list.

Our Top Fall Reading Choices
  •  A Good Day by Kevin Henkes, I LOVE Kevin Henkes and hadn't read this book yet.  It teaches such a great lesson that even if something bad or disappointing happens, you can end up having a good day. 
  • Thank You Bear by Greg Foley, This book would be a great one for discussing that some people won't appreciate things you consider to be great.  Not everyone's opinion matters.  Bear is such a cute character and there are more books with him.
  • Will It Be a Baby Brother? by Eve Bunting, Bunting is such a great author!  This book is so sweet.  The boy really wants a brother.  He ends up with a sister and realizes that she's just what he wanted all along.
  •  RRRALPH by Lois Ehlert, Such an adorable book!  I love how the dog is making noises a dog would actually make, but they make sense with what the dog is being asked.  
  • Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh, This is a fun book to read when learning about what colors are made when you mix colors.  I picture reading this book with Carter and then letting him mix paints to try it out. 
  • Baby Loves by William Lach, This book uses the art of Mary Cassatt to create an easy reader.  It is a great way to introduce children to art and is also an easy enough read they can use the pictures and the repetition to read or help read the book.
  • Sing by Joe Raposo and Tom Lichtenheld, The book is a song written by Raposo illustrated by Lichtenheld.  I'm discovering how much I like Lichtenheld, he has some adorable books!  The song is so sweet and Carter loved it.  The book came with a CD which helped me figure out the tune to the song because I can't sing by looking at sheet music for the life of me.  I was lucky to be successful playing the clarinet using sheet music, I don't push it by trying to figure out a pitch for my voice using it!
  • Goodnight Goon by Michael Rex, Labeled a petrifying parody this book is a Halloween version of Goodnight Moon.  It is spooky and fun, but not scary.  I read this one to Carter multiple times just because I liked it so much.
  • Thumb Love by Elise Primavera, I waffled back and forth with this book.  It was kind of cute but really strange in some parts.  I was weirded out by the conversations the child had with her thumb.  Obviously I picked it up because of my little thumb sucker.  I want to keep this book on a list just in case we have trouble getting Carter to stop sucking his thumb.  I don't want to kick myself that I didn't save the name of this book.  I have a sneaking suspicion there may be more appropriate books, but just in case there aren't I'm saving it. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of him laying down reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, after that day I decided we needed to buy and check out more board books!

      Delete