Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mommy's First Year Memories

Carter, as I sit here thinking about your first year of life I am full of emotion.  I am so proud of you and all the milestones you have reached.  I love you so much and I'm just not quite ready for you to be a year old.  When I look back at pictures and videos of you as a newborn I miss that baby, so tiny and so precious.  Of course I would love to rewind and hold you again.  To remember that sweet smell and how little you were.  But I would never change where we are today.  You are so much fun and are more and more so every single day!  You are starting to communicate with us, you are moving, you are playing, and you are still cuddly.  You are absolutely perfect.

My idea was to share with you some of the moments that really stick out in my mind from your first year.  The moments that melted my heart.  When I felt the most in love with you.  When I think back over this past year it is a blur of emotions.  Of happiness, love, and utter fatigue.  The little moments that I remember most are when you fell asleep in my arms as a newborn under the glow of our Christmas tree.  Rocking you to sleep at night.  The way you would (and still do) burrow your little head into my neck and I want(ed) to hold you there forever.  The wild diaper changes that ended with your rocker, your dresser, your face, and my body all getting sprayed. 

When I was still on maternity leave I would leave my pajamas on in the morning when you woke up.  You would eat and be awake for about an hour or so and then we'd go back to bed.  I would take you into daddy and my bedroom and we would cuddle up together.  I would rest my lips on the top of your forehead and kiss you over and over until you fell asleep.  Then I would fall asleep listening to the inhale and exhale of your lungs.  When you would wake up from your nap we would lay in bed and play together.  I would pull the curtains away from the window to let light in and say peek-a-boo.  Then drop the curtain and do it again.  You would make crazy faces at the bright light as it streamed through the window.  Sometimes we would read books.  Sometimes we played with toys.  It was my favorite time of day.
Reading a book in bed after morning naptime.

Running with you in the stroller has always been such a dream come true.  You are amazing in the stroller and absolutely love going for a run.  The faster I go, the more you enjoy it.  I loved when you were small enough we still used the car seat adapter for you to ride in the stroller.  You faced me and I would watch your face the entire run.  For the first month or so you always slept on our runs.  I will never forget the first run you were awake on.  It was Valentine's Day and it was a bit chilly.  I had a hard time running because I was giggling at how cute you were while you looked around.  It was such a great moment for me!

Of course there are also all of the firsts.  The first time you smiled, actually looked at a person and smiled.  You looked at me and smiled and I melted.  It was the best feeling!  At least I thought it was the best feeling until the first time you laughed.  Every time I change your diaper I bend down and kiss your thighs.  That night I bent down and kissed your thighs like usual and you squealed and shrieked so I did it again.  That's when you let out the sweetest sound I had ever heard, your laugh!  Soon after that you started sitting up on your own for long periods of time.  We were in daddy and my bedroom playing on the bed.  I propped you up in a seated position like I normally did.  Usually you would fall after about 30 seconds, but you just kept sitting!  I was so proud of you!

The first time you sat for a long period of time!
I'd say the most excited I've been to watch you reach a milestone was crawling.  You were a bit behind schedule and I was doing my best to be patient and let you hit that milestone when you were ready.  Finally right after your 11 month birthday you got there.  We were playing in the hallway and I went a ways down the hallway from you and you crawled to me.  I screamed and squealed and couldn't believe it!  I called your daddy in and he threw his keys down the hall to get you to do it again and you went right for them.

Once you started crawling, you never slowed down!
There are so many moments that I would like to share with you, but I'm sticking to the ones that really popped out and stuck in my mind.  I've asked some very special people in your life to share moments that stand out in their minds from your first year.  I know some day you will feel so special and loved reading what everyone remembers most from your first year.  Tomorrow will be daddy's day to share!  I love you, little turkey!
I love you so much, Mr. Carter Man!
Eating blueberries at 361 Days Old!  Only 4 more days until your birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment