Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 8 Bumpdate


August 26, 2014

At our first prenatal appointment on Monday, August 25th, the baby measured in at 7 weeks, 6 days rather than the 7 weeks, 2 days we estimated.  The doctor changed our due date from April 11, 2015 to April 7, 2015 so I'm adjusting my weekly bumpdates from here on out to follow our new due date and the baby's actual size.  That's why I'm doing the week 8 post just a few days after the week 7 post.   This week I was challenged to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, which will be funny to tell baby about later, and accepted the challenge.  Since I'm pregnant my brothers poured most of the ice water on my dad because we did it together.


Baby's Size: The size of a kidney bean!  The baby's tail is almost gone which I noticed during our ultrasound.  Carter still had a noticeable tail during his first appointment.  Baby also now has webbed fingers and toes.

Weight Gain: Let's just say my weight is fluctuating like crazy right now!  When I did my 7 week post on Saturday I was up a pound from my starting weight.  This morning I was down a half pound from my starting weight, meaning I lost a pound and a half in 3 days.  I think not!

Maternity Clothes: I will be steering clear of these for as long as I can.  Hopefully I can squeeze into my regular clothes even longer than I did with Carter.  Last time I was so excited to wear maternity clothes that I started wearing them before I really needed to.  I hadn't full on stretched my pants through the hair tie as far as I could have!

Sleep: I haven't felt quite as tired and have cut my naps down to 30 minutes most days.  I'm waking up a lot at night.  Usually multiple times to go to the bathroom and also due to weird and vivid dreams. 

Symptoms: I was back to being really nauseous and struggling to eat, but today has been much better.  I'm still hungry all the time and usually need a snack either right before bed or immediately when I wake up.  I had another migraine yesterday.

Running: Since this is a short week due to my doctor changing our due date, I'll post about running in my next weekly update.  I've only run a couple days since my last update.  Although I am a little bit faster than I was when pregnant with Carter and I don't feel quite as exhausted, at least not yet!

Food Cravings: Bread sticks from Olive Garden and their Ravioli di Portobello!  So far anything I've really wanted to eat, I've been so over once I had it.  Ty and I went for a little date night last night before he flew out for a business trip today and it's all I can think about.  I feel like I could eat it for every meal of every day right now.  The sauce, the mushrooms, the soft and delicious bread sticks!!!!

Food Aversions: Still eggs and smoked meat.  I'm starting to struggle with Mexican, but I'm hoping that's just a phase.

Movement: This is the hardest part to wait for!  Come on baby movements!

Best Moment of the Week: Our doctor's appointment!  When he shoved that lovely wand in and I immediately saw the gestational sac and then a baby inside I almost cried.  My first thought was, "the baby is so big!!!!"  I was expecting the baby to be the same size Carter was at our first appointment and to look similar.  Carter measured in at 6 weeks, 6 days and this baby measured in at 7 weeks, 6 days.  One week makes a huge difference in size, that's for sure!  Then we heard the heart beat and I whipped my head to stare at Ty and we were silently screaming over our excitement.  We knew if we heard the heart beat our chances of a miscarriage go down drastically and the doctor confirmed that after the ultrasound, telling us that our chances of a miscarriage after hearing the heart beat at this point in the pregnancy are very slim.  The heart was beating away at 165 bpm.  Just for fun I looked and Carter's first heart beat on an ultrasound was 152 bpm.  We had a good chat with the doctor and he okayed me to run the half-marathon I'm signed up for in October.  I will be 14 weeks. 
 
 

Currently Loving: Looking at the ultrasound pictures.  Now instead of sneaking into the bathroom to look at the word pregnant on a test, I'm constantly sneaking into the bedroom to look at our precious baby!  I can't get enough of that giant head and those tiny arm buds.  How is (s)he so cute already?!!?

Miss Anything: Honestly nothing other than the Braum's frozen yogurt soft serve and I'm slowly getting over it.  Pretty soon I won't even miss it anymore!

What Big Brother is Up to This Week: He went to our appointment with us and really wanted to touch the super expensive high-tech equipment!  While the doctor did the ultrasound he was all eyes for the screen.  Although I know he didn't understand what was going on, it was so sweet to see him looking at the baby!  One morning I was throwing up and he stood in the bathroom hanging on me and rubbing my back. I hadn't been able to find a hair tie so I just pulled my hair back with my hands. I felt like I was done throwing up so I sat up and let go of my hair. It suddenly hit me again and I hunched over the toilet before I had the chance to pull my hair back again. Carter reached up and tried to hold my hair back like he'd seen me do. I couldn't help but think, what an angel baby! What not even 2 year old child tries to hold his mom's hair back while she throws up? I sure am lucky! Carter has also been doing a lot better with Jake and hasn't been as jealous which is great practice for when baby arrives!
Cleaning his hands so he could hold the ultrasound strip.
 
He decided he didn't really want to hold it, so I did.
He's such a ham!

4 comments:

  1. I'm loving these! And Carter's pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We do the pictures first thing in the morning right before Ty leaves for work. It is funny to look back and see Carter's pjs!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story with Carter holding your hair, and the pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, him being so sweet made it worth throwing up!

      Delete