Sunday, September 7, 2014

Perfect Rainy Day

Yesterday we started our rainy day morning by baking banana bread and then I headed out for a long run.  When I got home Carter was so excited to share his banana bread with me and I was starving, so I ate a little snack.  Then I asked him if he wanted to go outside to play in the puddles.  He immediately slid out of his grampy's lap and followed me into his room.  We slipped on his boots and I left my running clothes on figuring since I was already sweaty it didn't matter if I got them all wet.  I was surprised when my mom, my dad, and Thomas all decided to come with us.  As we were walking out to the puddles Jeremy arrived and went with us.  We had quite the group!
 
 
 

Carter had a blast jumping and splashing in the big puddles at the end of our street, but there were a lot of cars so we decided to head up to a school by our house to see if there were any puddles up there.  I stopped at the house to change my shirt, I was cold being all sweaty, and threw on my rain boots.  I ran to catch up with everyone and couldn't stop laughing as I watched Carter run down the street (right next to the curb with everyone to the outside of him, of course).  Luckily the school parking lot was a gold mine of puddles.  We would run from one puddle to the next, jumping and making a huge splash.  Carter was laughing and having a blast.  No one else had the appropriate clothing or shoes to splash in the puddles with us, but Carter kept calling for uncie to get in the puddles with us.  Not being able to resist, and still wearing his pajamas with a pair of slip on sandals, Thomas jumped in a puddle right next to me spraying water all over me.  Carter thought it was immensely funny and asked Thomas to do it again.  We had so much fun and I was filled with enough joy and laughter to last me the rest of the day.
 
 

Today Carter got his boots and brought them to me and then Jeremy to put them on.  Then he headed to the front door wanting to go out and play in puddles.  I was sad to tell him all the puddles had dried up, but I was so excited he wanted to play in his boots again.  The first time we tried out Carter's rain boots and he didn't like them I was disappointed.  I had the best memories from babysitting Brent and Bo back in high school and college.  Brent had a pair of frog rain boots and absolutely loved them.  Anytime it rained he would get so excited and run for his boots.  We would go play in a giant puddle that always formed right across the street from their house.  It was quite large, but it was still amazing that he could play in the puddle for close to an hour.  We would head home soaked and tired, but so happy.  I enjoyed playing in the puddles with him so much that the first time it rained after Carter started walking I was desperate to buy him rain boots.  I searched online for good deals and even almost paid extra to get rain boots that looked just like the ones Brent had as a kid.  The last couple times it's rained Carter and I have had just as much fun in the puddles as Brent and I used to have.  It is so much fun getting the chance to create new memories that are similar to my beloved old ones.  Kids are just so much fun and so are puddles!
 

2 comments:

  1. I remember playing in rain boots when I was a kid too. You guys never had rain boots, but would play in puddles, but more of making things float than running and jumping in them, though Thomas looks like he did it all his life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely always loved splashing others and soaking them!

      Delete