Monday, September 22, 2014

And Then There Were Four...

On Saturday, August 2nd (my parents' anniversary), we found out that Carter is going to be a big brother and that Ty and I will be parents to children, not a child.  We are so excited and are already enjoying the adventure!  That Friday I told Ty it seemed like my period was late.  I didn't want to count it out to see what day of my cycle I was on because I knew it would be the start of me obsessing over whether I was pregnant or not.  Unfortunately I couldn't help myself and realized I was on day 28 of my cycle which is usually the day I start my period.  In July my cycle was really long and lasted 31 days so I knew I should plan on a 31 day cycle and wait until Tuesday to either get my period or take a test.

Saturday morning when I woke up I laid in bed and thought things over.  My parents were visiting for the weekend after moving Thomas' stuff down.  The next weekend Ty's parents were coming to visit.  I couldn't help but think how perfect it would be if we were pregnant and got to tell both sets of grandparents in person rather than over the phone!  Ty rolled over and I told him I was going to go ahead and take a test and he said "okay".  After the 3 minute wait Ty and I both headed into the bathroom together to check the result.  It was the weirdest feeling looking down and seeing the word "pregnant".  I was excited but also a bit unbelieving.  Our trip to Virginia conflicted with my ovulation.  I knew I had ovulated one of the first days of our trip and understood the likelihood that I would get pregnant that cycle was pretty slim.  Ty and I immediately hugged and I couldn't tell if I was going to laugh or cry.  The last few months had been really emotional for me and I felt all my disappointment and worry had finally come to an end, a very happy and fulfilling end.

I took Carter into his room for a diaper change and put him in his onesie that said "I may be little, but I'm the big brother".  I was so excited to take him into the kitchen and have him walk toward my mom and dad.  As we got to the kitchen Carter had no interest in getting down so I handed him over to my mom and she read his onesie.  She had thought it was odd I had put him in a onesie with no pants, so she was a little bit suspicious.  After reading what it said she gave me a hug and sent Carter over to my dad.  We were all so excited and excitedly giggled about our good fortune.  When Carter was finished eating his breakfast he headed into the living room to climb on his Uncie Tommy who said it was, "Awesome" to be an uncie again.


Sunday morning I decided to take another test with another "pregnant" result.  All weekend long I would excitedly head into the bathroom just to read the word over and over.  I couldn't believe it, it seemed so unreal.  I even picked the test up and moved it around checking for any possible design flaw.  5 months after our miscarriage and 3 months of trying and here we were with the perfect April due date I had dreamed of.  When our journey of starting a family began I became set on an April/May baby because it seemed like the perfect time.  Obviously Carter didn't fit the bill, although a winter baby was perfect.  Then our next pregnancy left us with an October due date which we were both pumped for, but it didn't work out.  This time around our due date is April 7th, just a few days after sweet cousin Garrett's birthday.  If baby decides to be an early bird like Carter, he/she could even be born on Uncle Paul's birthday.  The possibilities are endless!  The more I think about it, the more excited I am!   
The following week Ty's parents came to visit and we were able to share the good news with them.  They arrived an hour and a half after Carter's normal bedtime, but I let him stay up to see them.  I picked out jammies that matched his big brother onesie and put the onesie on over the jammies.  They were so excited to see Carter and just elated that he stayed up to see them that they didn't notice his onesie.  It probably took them a good 15 minutes of playing and talking before Leina finally read Carter's onesie.  It was such a fun way to tell them and it was exciting waiting for them to notice what his shirt said.
Excitedly waiting for Grandma and Grandpa to arrive.
I'm going to be a BIG brother!
Before we found out we were pregnant I had thought about when to announce our next pregnancy on the blog.  I was torn because I had weekly updates on Carter starting at 8 weeks so I knew I wanted to do the same with the next baby.  But I also didn't want to share the news with everyone and then have a miscarriage.  It's not that I wouldn't have written about it on the blog because I would have.  I just didn't want everyone to get excited for me and then be disappointed along with us if something happened.  I also didn't want to have those weekly updates on here and then have a miscarriage.  Seeing them would be painful and I would be torn as to whether to delete them or not.  So I decided I would wait until either our first appointment or the first trimester was over to announce on the blog.  Then my blog friend did something genius.  She typed up weekly updates starting at 4 weeks and posted them all at once after they announced their pregnancy.  What a great idea!  So I started writing weekly blog posts when we found out we were pregnant and will now be posting them on here.  What a great way to document each week without getting everyone excited and then possibly letting them down later on.  We will be 12 weeks pregnant tomorrow and just had a reassuring doctor's appointment today so we figured it was the perfect time to share the news.  Weekly bumpdates from the first 12 weeks will be coming soon.

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Still SO excited for you four!!! I am so happy and Garrett is excited to have a little cousin! It will be weird that Garrett won't be the baby anymore! I love the picture of Carter the BIG brother!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be so cute to see Garrett and the baby together. It's crazy that they'll be almost exactly a year apart! I still call Carter my baby, but he won't be the baby much longer!

      Delete
  2. I KNEW IT! Gut feeling. And then when you mentioned that you went to bed early while in Florida (even though you were an hour ahead time-zone wise), I knew it. ;) CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to read your bump dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I can't wait to see Carter as a big brother!! And to hear how running goes! And just think: This time, NO PUMPING ever (unless you realllllllly want to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I know about the pumping! I look at my pump in the closet and simultaneously love and hate it! Running has been going really well so far!

      Delete
  3. P.S. I saved our pregnancy tests both times until Rob got home, so he could see them in person (he though it was gross). Up until mid-second trimester when I could feel kicks, I would still go in the drawer and pull them out just to stare at the double pink lines. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the nice thing about dye tests. We used digital and they only last for about a day. It was so sad to go in to peek at it only to find it blank!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Very exciting! Now if the placenta will just move it's little hiney we will be all set! :)

      Delete