Thursday, September 4, 2014

What I'm Loving the Most About Carter Right Now

He is such a great helper.  It blows my mind how much he wants to help and how he thinks of ways to help on his own.  When we got home from our trip to my parents' house for labor day weekend Skippy had thrown up on the floor.  I didn't notice it until the next day and was busy when I saw it so I didn't stop to clean it right away.  Later in the day Carter walked over and pointed to it, asking "what's that?"  I told him Skippy had thrown up and I forgot to clean it up and I needed to do it.  As I was going over to get something to clean it Carter climbed up on a chair so I stopped to make sure he didn't fall.  He grabbed a napkin off the table and walked over to the mess, wiping it with the napkin in an attempt to clean it up.  It was the sweetest gesture.  Not only did he understand what I was saying, but he was trying to help fix it!

I've been trying to get him to sleep with a blanket for a while now and he was just never interested.  This month he has finally started sleeping with a blanket, but it has to be just right.  One night I laid him down in his crib and put the blanket over him.  He laid quietly for a bit while I sat in the rocker.  Then he stood up and said "uh oh" so I went over to check.  He was holding his blanket and handed it to me while he laid back down.  I covered him with the blanket and sat back down.  A little bit later he did the same thing and I put the blanket on him, tucking it under his sides.  He went right to sleep after that.  It was the cutest!

He follows directions so well and can even follow multiple step directions.  I was telling Jeremy how cute it is to read Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley with Carter because at the end he'll say "Go away!" and then turn the page.  I told Carter to go get his green monster book to read to Jeremy and that it was in mommy and daddy's room.  He took off down the hall and disappeared into our bedroom.  When he came back he had the book and handed it to Jeremy.  It was adorable!  I've tried getting a video of him reading the book, but I haven't gotten a very good one.  Normally he says "go away" much clearer than he does in this video.

During our color themed learning week I would point to things and ask Carter what color they were.  He would just look at me and smile.  If I told him the color he would occasionally repeat it after me and would sometimes still just stare at me.  I felt like things just weren't sticking, but I knew that was okay because at his age it's all about exposure and he'll get it later on.  We kept going with the color week, having fun with all the activities and I kept trying out pointing at things and asking the color to no avail.  Then yesterday I was putting some things away while he "read" in his book nook.  I heard him say orange so I looked over and he was pointing at something orange on the page and saying it's color.  I was so excited.  It turned out he was learning, he just didn't feel like performing for me!

4 comments:

  1. He has a loving heart as big as his daddy's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet that the blanket has to be just right!! As snug as a bug! :-) He looks extra long under that blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. I can't get over how cute he looks all snuggled up under his blanket!

      Delete