Thursday, October 10, 2013

Another Thursday At Home

Carter enjoyed our day together last Thursday so much that he just had to spend the day together again today.  When I arrived at lunchtime yesterday his teacher warned me he had a couple of loose stools and diarrhea earlier in the day and threw up a few times.  I was surprised because he was so happy and talkative and didn't seem fussy at all.  But leave it to our boy to be happy no matter what, he really doesn't get too fussy when he's sick.
Harper trying her hardest to make Carter feel better.

After I picked him up yesterday he seemed fine all evening, was happy as could be and had no loose stools but did throw up a little bit after dinner.  I was on the fence as to whether or not I should keep him home.  Then last night he didn't sleep very well at all, crying and fussing unless we held him.  Then when he woke up at 6 am he wouldn't nurse so I decided to call a sub and keep him home.

I called my favorite sub who miraculously hadn't picked up a job yet.  She is well liked and normally has to be booked for a while ahead of time.  Then I made sub plans and sent them to my co-teacher to print and lay out and tried nursing Carter again.  That time he ate like a champ.  He took a long morning nap and woke up smiley and giggling.  Since he was doing so well I decided to go ahead and take him for a run.  Harper was following us around all morning and doting on Carter so I decided to take her too.  The entire drive to the trails Carter laughed at Harper.  When I got him out and put him in the stroller there was an older woman in a car next to us with the window down.  Carter was belly laughing at Harper and the woman was chuckling at his cuteness.  I told her Carter thinks Harper's hilarious and she agreed.
Excited to sit with Harper.

We got home from our run and Carter was just so happy.  He hadn't had any bowel issue at all.  I was starting to think I had wasted a sick day.  It was like Carter wanted to let me know, oh yes mommy you made the right choice.  I tried feeding him some rice cereal for lunch since he seemed to be doing so much better.  He ate a decent amount, but then cried, didn't want anymore, and threw up a little. 

As I pulled him out of his high chair I heard his tummy making a strange noise and he had a look on his face like he was thinking, "Uh oh, not this again!"  I heard the tell tale sounds of him filling his diaper and then heard it begin to splatter on the floor.  That's right, running out the sides and top of his diaper and splattering all over the floor.  I carried him into his bedroom and started to rip off his onesie which was filled with poo from the top of his diaper to the nape of his neck.  Of course, he was screaming the whole time.  I get him relatively cleaned up and took him into the bathroom for a bath.  As I was soaping him up I kept noticing he still smelled like poo.  I then looked down and realized it's not him, it's me.  I took my shirt off, but the smell lingered.  I stood up and looked in the mirror to discover the entire left side of my shorts was covered with poop on the back.  I ripped off my shorts too and then pulled Carter out of the poo water.
Playing in poo water.
What a mess and what a day.  I'd say I made the right decision to stay home with Carter today.  I did message the doctor who suggested we give him some pedialyte and then call tomorrow for an appointment if Carter's not feeling better.  I'm going to try going back to work tomorrow.  Hopefully Carter doesn't have another blow out instance.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment