Monday, October 21, 2013

Running 10 Months Postpartum

When I wrote my first postpartum running update my plan was to write an update at 6, 9, and 12 months postpartum.  I didn't get around to writing about running at 9 months postpartum, so I'm going with 10 months postpartum instead.  At 10 months postpartum I'm feeling awesome!  I'm back into good shape and am sneaking closer to my pre-pregnancy race times.

Where I'm at 10 months postpartum:
  • Running 5 days a week
  • Long run built up to 12 miles with a half-marathon under my belt
  • Weekly mileage ranges from 20-30 miles.  Some weeks it's under 20, but most weeks I hit at least 20 miles.  A 30 mile week is really rare.  Most weeks I'm around 25 miles.
  • Pushing the stroller plus Carter's 19 pounds
  • Pace is typically around 8:00-8:30 per mile, but is faster without the stroller.  My pace really depends on what type of workout I'm doing.  Recovery runs are in the 9:00-9:30 range.
Postpartum Race PR's at 10 Months:
I set some goals at 6 months postpartum and have hit all of them.  I built my mileage up to 30 miles, but haven't kept it there consistently.  My long run is 12 miles.  I built my tempo run up to my 8 mile goal, even surpassing it with a 9 mile tempo and my pace was under the 8:00 goal.  Do I have set goals going on from here?  Not really.  I'd like to keep running 20-30 mile weeks, hitting 25 miles on average.  I'd also like to keep chipping away at those postpartum PR's.  Now that I'm approaching the 21:00 mark in the 5k, I'd like to break 21 minutes.  The great thing about all this running while breastfeeding?  I'm down to 9 pounds under pre-pregnancy weight!  Right now I weigh the least I have since graduating college.  We'll see if I can maintain that once Carter is weaned!

Linking up with Ashley for Move it Monday!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! You should have heard Dad telling me about you doing a faster 5k with Carter than he can do now on his own. :)

    ReplyDelete