Friday, August 16, 2013

Pumping Progress

Yesterday I tried out the advice I'd gotten about pumping.  It was amazing how quickly it made a difference.  I started pumping for longer amounts of time, from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.  When nothing was coming out, I'd turn the pump off and then turn it back on, forcing it back to the higher speed.  I went from 1-2 ounces per session the day before to 2-3 ounces per session!  That was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  I had never thought about continuing to pump when nothing was coming out.  I had no idea more could come later.
Yay for more milk!
Last night when Carter woke up I had him eat on the right side even though I felt full on the left.  This morning I was able to pump 6 ounces, compared to 2 ounces the day before!  I think it's definitely going to help when Carter starts sleeping through the night because I'll be able to pump more in the morning.

I knew I was freaking out prematurely yesterday, but I just couldn't help it.  I'm glad I did because I got some great advice which will help me as my body gets used to pumping again.  Nursing is just sooo much easier!  I was grateful every day over the summer that I got to feed Carter rather than pump for bottles later.  It is much more convenient and way less painful.  I'm back to coating my pump parts with Lansinoh Lanolin cream every time I pump, that stuff is a life saver!

Knowing how stressed I've been about pumping enough milk, you'll find the humor in this story.  When Carter and I got home this evening I set up to pump on one side while he nursed on the other.  A little bit tricky cradling a very long baby against your body while trying to keep their body from pinching off cords or knocking into the bottle.  Add in doing it when you are alone and it gets even more complicated.  When I was finished I bent over to turn the pump off, spilling over half the milk all over Carter and myself.  I then went into the kitchen to put it in a bag to freeze.  I was holding Carter and attempting to pour the milk at the same time which I knew was a bad idea.  Sure enough he reached out and slapped the bottle, spraying milk all over the floor.  I ended up with about a quarter of an ounce left and couldn't bring myself to trash it, so I went ahead and froze it.  Call me crazy, but I spent over 15 minutes pumping and I wanted something to show for it!
Me do something mischevious?  No way!

No comments:

Post a Comment