Monday, August 5, 2013

Race Fail

Friday Ty came home excited to run a race he had gotten an e-mail about.  The race was a 5 mile poker run.  During the race you get a card each mile and after the race prizes are given to the best poker hands.  He needed to run a 5 mile long run so it was perfect.  I was planning to run a 10 mile long run and thought the race sounded like fun so I decided to run the race and either run a few miles before and after or run 5 miles after depending on how early we got to the race.
My new shoes!

We arrived right on time for the race, barely got signed up, and I was still putting my bib on as it was time to take off.  I was running with Carter and Ty was going it alone.  I made it about half a mile out and it started to torrential downpour.  I looked in at Carter and he was getting soaked.  I immediately turned around and headed back to the car.  Ty saw us run past and followed suit.  As I changed Carter, Ty noticed I hadn't pulled the sun shade all the way down and that's why Carter got wet.  It stopped raining, but the stroller was wet and I could see lightning in the distance.  We decided to cut our losses and head home.

I was frustrated.  We got up at 6 am and didn't get to do the race and I still had to get my long run in.  I was disappointed I hadn't checked the weather and that I hadn't put the sun shade down all the way.  I couldn't help but think Carter may not have gotten wet if I had gotten the shade down and maybe we could have finished the race.  Ty could tell I was upset so we talked about a solution.  We decided he would go home with Carter and I would run home.

On my way home there were a couple more times where it rained as hard as it had at the race and once where it rained even harder.  I knew even if I'd gotten the shade down all the way Carter still would have gotten wet and we would have been farther away from the car.  I was so glad we made the decision to stop.  I made it home with a mile and a half to go so I ran out 3/4 of a mile and came back.
Soaked after my rainy day long run.

I was a sopping mess.  Normally when it rains I braid my hair so it doesn't get all tangled.  Since I didn't realize it was supposed to rain my hair was just in a regular ponytail.  I spent 20 minutes in the shower with conditioner untangling the rat's nest hanging from my head.  After running 10 miles that was simply exhausting!  I ordered new running shoes and had just run in them for the first time on Thursday, so they definitely got broken in on Saturday!

Later in the day Carter decided he didn't want to nap anywhere but in my arms.  I was exhausted and finally just gave in, putting him in the baby carrier.  Nothing like getting up at 6 am on a Saturday, running 10 miles, and then lugging an 18+ pound baby around in a baby carrier for 45 minutes while he sleeps to make your legs burn and eyes droopy!  But man, is he cute!

Last Week's Stats
Weekly Mileage: 30 miles
Long Run: 10 miles (I did a step back week because my body had been feeling worn out)
Tempo Run: 4 miles at 7:55 pace

Linking up with Ashley for Move it Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment