Thursday, August 1, 2013

Big Boy Transitions

I can't believe everything Carter is able to do now.  It seems like this month he started doing so many "big boy" things!  He isn't crawling yet, but he is rolling all over the place and getting into things.  Today he found a pencil and shoved it in his mouth before I was able to pry it out of his grip.  Wild boy!

For a while now when I would feed Carter, he would reach for the spoon wanting to feed himself.  I thought we'd try feeding him small pieces of soft foods.  So far he's had banana and avocado.  Right away he caught on to mashing the piece of food with his tongue and gums.  He hasn't quite figured out getting the food to his mouth, so I've been feeding it to him.  He will grab the food and mash it in his hands, it just never makes it to his mouth.
When I pulled the tray off he had avocado all over his front from grabbing pieces and not putting them in his mouth.
We also got out some sippy cups so he could start drinking out of them.  I have been putting just a little bit of water in one and giving it to him during a meal.  It's hard to tell if he gets much water down or not.  I can hear him guzzling, but he ends up with lots of water on his chin and front, so it's hard to tell.  Sometimes he'll hold the cup on his own and sometimes he wants me to hold it for him.  I think he gets more water when I hold it because I tip it up for him.
Using his sippy cup from great grandma and grandpa.
We went to dinner for my birthday on Tuesday and put Carter in a restaurant high chair for the first time.  He did really well at first and while I was feeding him.  After a while his neck got tired and he started sloping and fussing.  Ty was finished with his meal, so he held him for a while.
Playing with my sunglasses in the high chair.
Carter has been chewing on anything he can get into his mouth and his bottom teeth have popped through.  We got him some Nibblers figuring he'd like feeding himself and frozen food would soothe his gums.  I took one of his frozen food cubes, cut it in half, and put half in the Nibbler.  I didn't think he'd be able to use it on his own, but he went to town with it.  When he finished all the frozen apple he started crying so I put the other half in and he ate part of it too.  It was absolutely adorable!  As I watched him I felt like I was getting a glimpse into the future.  His method of eating looked so much like eating an ice cream cone!

I am amazed at everything he has picked up and how much he has changed.  I swear when I look down at his thighs they are slowly shrinking and losing baby fat.  What will he be up to next?  I am so excited to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment