Friday, March 8, 2013

First Day Success



Remember those goals of mine?  

Don’t do the ugly cry.  Check
Get to work on time/don’t dilly dally too much at the daycare when I drop little man off.  Check
Make my students’ day/make sure they can’t tell I miss my son like crazy/be cheery, happy, and peppy for my little ones.  Check
Leave work right at 3:45 (which will be the first time that I can ever think of).  Check

We started our day with a very smiley and cheery baby.  I love Carter’s sweet personality.  He is definitely a morning baby.  For his first day of daycare he wore a special outfit.  We took some pictures to help us remember his first day.
He was smiling and right as Ty snapped the picture he spit up.  He cracks me up!
Everyone at the daycare was so nice and helpful.  They made it easier to leave Carter although it was still extremely hard.  Ty went with me for support.  I really hoped I wouldn’t cry at the daycare and I was able to make it all the way to the parking lot before I broke down.  I cried all the way to work and sat in the parking lot for a while to get it together.  It felt good to walk into my classroom, my home away from home, but I was still struggling to dry it up.

Once the students started to arrive, my spirits really lifted.  I had missed them so much.  The first students to arrive poked their heads into my room and very excitedly said, Mrs. Cox IS back!  Almost like they didn’t believe it could be true.  I went into the hallway to greet students as they arrived and I had a smile from ear to ear.  They really are the sweetest group of kids!  

The morning flew by and before I knew it, it was lunch time, time to see my precious boy!  His daycare is about a 5-7 minute drive from school.  Between dropping my kids off at lunch, driving to and from daycare, and picking them up from recess I had a solid 20 minutes with him.  He had just woken up and was alert.  When I walked over to his crib and looked down at him, he smiled up at me.  I got to spend the entire time cuddling him, talking to him, and receiving smiles.  It was such a great way to spend my lunchtime.  
My handsome lunch date!
On the way back to school I drank a smoothie I had made the night before, froze, and left in my car to thaw.  The rest of the day went by even faster than the morning.  Before I knew it I was saying goodbye to my students, quickly checking my e-mails, and packing up to go home.  All the while thinking, I can do this.  I really can do this working mom thing.  Thank goodness!  What a relief!  The smiles on my students’ faces and the hugs made the return to work much easier than I had anticipated.  Now I have all weekend with my loves!
One of my students wrote Carter a card.  She asked what is favorite color is and I told her he can only see black and white right now.  Her thoughtfulness warmed my heart!
Random cute story: A mom of one of my students e-mailed me to say her son told her he wanted to dress fancy.  She asked why and he said, it's Mrs. Cox's first day back and I want to look nice.  He wore a button up shirt, looked very handsome, and was on his best behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment