Friday, March 15, 2013

That Scary Moment



Most moms I’ve talked to have told me about that panicked feeling when you wake up in the middle of the night, your baby is still sleeping, and you are sure he/she is dead.  I had never had that feeling.  The only times I could think of when I woke up without Carter crying to eat were in the hospital right after he was born when I would wake up about 15 minutes before each of his feedings.

I finally had that moment last night.  I woke up panicked with my body telling me something was wrong (a perk of breastfeeding for sure).  The first thought that went through my head was, oh my gosh, Carter must be dead!  I’m pretty sure my heart stopped beating as I frantically reached out for his monitor and pushed the button to see the video.  Can I say again how thankful I am to have a video monitor, otherwise I would have lumbered not at all gracefully into his room and probably in my crazed state, pulled him right out of his crib!  I looked at him and thankfully he wasn’t in a deep sleep so he twitched his arms.  Thank heavens, a sign of life!

Assured that Carter was in fact alive, I checked the time.  4:00!!!!  Say what?  Carter had been asleep for 8 hours, 8 whole glorious hours?!!  As much as I would have loved to go back to sleep, there was just no way.  I thought about getting up to pump, but didn’t want to have to clean all the parts for my morning pump session.  Instead, I laid in bed sure that Carter would wake up soon.  45 minutes later the little man was ready to eat.  I was so thankful he was hungry and went back to sleep right after he ate.  I am still in awe that he slept for 8 hours and 45 minutes last night!  What a little stud!  I ended my morning pump session with 13.5 ounces.  I’m hoping my body will regulate itself once he starts sleeping even more or I will be in trouble!
Just because he's so darn cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment