Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Letter to Carter at 3 Months



This month has been full of change.  My favorite being how social you have become.  You still love to stare at lights, but you also love to look at faces.  It is the best feeling in the world to look into your beautiful, blue eyes and have you looking back at me.  Even better is when you smile at me.  You had smiled a few times before, but now you dish out smiles like they are going out of style and man do they make my day.  There is nothing better than receiving one of those gummy smiles of yours!  I love that you smile at the sound of my voice and the sight of my face.  When I walk into a room talking, you turn toward the sound and smile and, of course, I have to scoop you up and plant kisses all over your adorable, chubby cheeks!  Any day now you will start laughing.  Sometimes when you smile you open your mouth wide like you are trying to laugh.
Love that smile!
Our biggest challenge has been sleep training, but we have finally conquered the beast!  We were starting your bedtime routine at 8 pm with a bath, feeding, then down to bed.   You were usually in your crib by 8:30.  I would put you down asleep and you would wake up soon after.  When you would wake up I would go get you and rock you back to sleep, but you would wake up again when I laid you down. 

One night I was up until 2 am and decided something had to change.  We started setting a timer and if you cried for 5 minutes we would go in, rub your belly, sing to you, offer you a pacifier and leave.  Daddy and I would take turns.  Listening to you cry was agonizing.  We started out having to go in and soothe you 4-6 times before you fell asleep.  You did a little bit better each night.  Now we start your bedtime routine at 7:30.  You are down around 8:15 and asleep by 8:30.  Most nights you fuss a little bit when you first go down, but go to sleep without crying at all.  You are a champ!  Now that you go to sleep so early I miss you while I’m still awake so I sneak into your room and stare at you while you are sleeping.  Sometimes you purse your lips or move them like you are sucking and it’s the cutest thing!

You can sleep for longer stretches of time too.  You sleep for at least 4-5 hours every night.  Last night you slept for a 7 hour stretch!!!  You fall asleep between 8 and 8:30 and sleep until 2 or 3.  Then you wake up again around 5 or 5:30.  Last night you only woke up once at 3, I’m hoping that continues!
Thank goodness for our amazing video monitor!
I went back to work last Thursday.  It was so hard to leave you at daycare for the first time, but everyone at your daycare is so nice and caring which makes it easier to leave you.  It only takes me 5-7 minutes to get from work to your daycare so I get to visit you and feed you over my lunch break.  My lunch is 45 minutes and with dropping the students off, driving, and being back in time to pick the students up it is a little bit rushed, but we get a solid 15 minutes together and some days closer to 20 minutes.  It’s like a slice of heaven in the middle of my day when I get to hold you in my arms.  Yesterday when I arrived you were laying in your crib.  When I looked down at you, you looked up at me and smile.  Talk about the best feeling!

We experienced a lot of firsts this month!  We went on our first outing with multiple destinations.  We ate lunch at Panera and then shopped at Target.  You did really well at Panera and for the first part of our Target trip.  Then you woke up and cried so Grampy took you outside and briskly walked with you until you calmed down.  You also had your first trip to the aquarium and seemed to enjoy looking at the fish when you were awake.  It snowed for the first time and I took you out for some pictures.  You seemed confused by the moisture on your face!  We made our first trip to Topeka and you met lots of family.  They all loved you so much and you got to snuggle and cuddle with everyone!  You also “ran” your first 5k with me.  Daddy ran the race too, but I pushed you in the stroller.  You did really well and slept the entire time.  Your first day of daycare was Thursday, March 7th.  Whoa, that was a LOT of firsts!
You roll over quite a bit now.  Tummy time is one of your least favorite things.  When I put you on your belly you roll over immediately almost every time.  When you don’t you lie on your belly and angrily cry.  It’s so sad, but I know tummy time is good for you!

We are enjoying baths quite a bit!  My favorite way to give you a bath is to fill the bath tub part-way with water and get in with you.  I put my hand under your neck to hold your head out of the water and you just kick and kick!  We did facetime with Grandma and Grandpa Cox and they really enjoyed watching you!  They laughed as you splashed about.  Your Grammy and Grampy Hurford will get to see you take a bath this weekend when we go to visit.  You are going to “run” a 5k with your Grampy on Saturday.

You didn’t have a doctor’s appointment this month so daddy and I weighed and measured you ourselves.  I’m not sure how accurate our measurements are, but I would think they are pretty close.  You now weigh 14 pounds and according to a chart I found online (who knows how accurate it is) that puts you at the 75th percentile.  You are now 24.75 inches long which puts you at the 83rd percentile.
Right before you rolled over.
 You are still in size 1 diapers, but you won’t be for much longer!  You are pushing the size limits.  The diaper says up to 14 pounds and you are right at 14 pounds.  You now wear 3 month and some 3-6 month clothes.  Most of your 0-3 month clothes still fit, but some of them are too tight.  You have officially outgrown your newborn pants.  I put you in some yesterday and they were skin tight!  Our favorite outfit is your gray and red striped pants with your grey onesie.  I also really like you Valentine’s Day sleeper.  It is so soft and you look so handsome!

I could go on and on talking about you forever, but I better stick to the highlights or you will never read it all!  I love you more and more every day, seriously it’s true.  I have no idea how that’s even possible!  I’m going to turn it over to your dad now!

Dad here, every time I see you hold your head up, I can’t help but smile. It is hard for me to believe that it has been three months since you were born because my work days are a blur! All I can do is wait until I get to see you when I get home. Lately I have been able to meet you and your mom at Riverside and we can all run together. Soon you will be out of the car seat and in the stroller, cheering us on! Right now you sit quietly but alert, taking in all of the sights, smells and sounds (especially the sound of your dad struggling to keep up with your mother who is pushing the stroller!)

You hold your head up so much better now!
It is so much fun watching you smile, roller over, hold yourself up and swim. Yes swim! You have been bathing in a real tub full of water with your mother and she supports your head while you kick and thrash your arms. You absolutely love it!

You are such a sweet baby, I cannot wait to see what the coming months bring to changes of your personality and actions. Especially as you learn to control your body and become stronger. Love Dad!
My how you've grown!

No comments:

Post a Comment