Thursday, April 25, 2013

Get Busy Livin'




This weekend we are headed to my hometown to run a 5k race.  The race is very special to all of us.  It is run for the Get Busy Livin Foundation which was created to honor Dylan Meier.  Jeremy and I were in high school at the same time as Dylan and he was in Jeremy’s graduating class.  After graduation Dylan went on to play football at K-State and then overseas.  

In 2010 he fell during a hiking trip and sustained fatal injuries.  He was the type of person who impacted the lives of people who barely knew him.  He was outgoing and charismatic and people were drawn to him.  I will never forget sitting in my bedroom getting ready for work and hearing the news on the radio.  His memory lives on not just with this race, but in the hearts of so many people who knew him.  It is by far the largest race in the surrounding area which says a lot about his character and the type of person he was.

Last year I really struggled at the race and just couldn’t get my legs going.  I finished in just over 23 minutes and was disappointed.  I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me.  I didn’t know at the time, but I was pregnant.  We found out about a week later.

Every year this race is the most important one I run and it means the most to me.  Running in honor of such an amazing person really motivates me to be the best I can.  This year my goal is to beat my time from last year.
Before the race last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment