Thursday, July 3, 2014

Running While Pregnant: My Two Cents

I'm sure most of you have read about Alysia Montano, the 800 meter runner who competed in the USATF Outdoor Championships 34 weeks pregnant.  If you haven't, check out an article here.  Not surprisingly every article I saw covering the race was followed by various comments.  There were both positive and negative comments.  Running while pregnant is a topic that is very important to me and I couldn't help but get all fired up and feel the need to share my two cents.

Alysia Montano, photo by Chris Lotsbom for Race Results Weekly
At times I'm shocked about the ignorance of people regarding the issue.  While many commenters were congratulatory and amazed that she could still run at 34 weeks pregnant, let alone run a time (although extremely slow for her) that would be exceptional for the average runner.  I'll go ahead and throw it out there that my fastest high school 800 meter time (I didn't run it in college because it totally wasn't my race) was only 5 seconds faster than her pregnant time!

But of course along with the positive there were negative comments some even going as far as to call her selfish.  Some justified that view point by saying she could have fallen and hurt her baby.  Anytime you are active, whether it's walking, running, or simply taking a shower, there is a chance you may fall.  Is that a reason to stop living your life?  Although falling when pregnant is terrifying it happens.  I tripped in a pothole and fell when I was pregnant with Carter and nothing happened.  Obviously an expecting momma wants to protect her baby which includes falling in a way to save her belly and baby.

I laughed so hard when I read one comment to the effect of: Awesome for her getting out and running rather than sitting on the couch eating pickles.  Why is it the state of mind of so many Americans that when you are pregnant you get to eat for 2, you can't lift a finger, you should back off your regular exercise routine, and people should cater to your every need and/or craving?  I'm all about that last one, I'm carrying an extra 25 pounds around on my bladder yes please cater to me, but the others?  Complete rubbish.  I ran until the night before Carter was born and it was hard to believe how many people tried to shame me.  When I decided to go ahead and run my half-marathon at 32 weeks pregnant I didn't tell anyone other than my family and a few friends because I didn't want to hear all the negative comments people would have and honestly I didn't care what they thought.  An expert opinion, like a doctor's, was all that I needed.  I had a co-worker tell me not to put my hands over my head and got onto me for lifting a box of recycling into a recycling bin, I'm not even kidding!  There were plenty of people during and after the race who were extremely supportive including a woman who let me cut in the porta potty line.

I appreciate what Alysia did.  She ran a race that would put her in the spotlight, that would give her attention, and she had to have known some of that attention would be negative.  While many people had rude things to say, I was amazed at all the reassuring and complimentary comments I saw.  It seems that in general people are learning more about pregnancy and discovering that it is okay to exercise.  As more people like Alysia go out and run while pregnant, it will be less likely that people will give dirty looks to those runners.  I am so glad that attention is being brought to the topic, people are becoming educated, and hopefully minds will be changed.  Because when it comes down to it exercising when pregnant is healthy for both mom and baby.  Eating enough food for 2 grown adults and simply sitting around is not healthy for mom or baby.  While the direct reason can never truly be known, the length of time women spend in labor has dramatically increased within the past 50 years.  It is my belief that it is due in part to women today tending to be more out of shape and overweight.  I hope for the sake of all women more women like Alysia will get out and run or walk or exercise in their preferred way.  Then the stigma of running/exercising while pregnant will continue to fade.  So all the pregnant ladies out there, go get it and I commend you!  I know how hard it is!!!

2 comments: