Friday, July 25, 2014

Sightseeing Day 2: The National Mall

Wednesday we got up planning to sight see at the National Mall. I learned this trip that the National Mall is a national park encompassing the area from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol Building. It includes the Washington Monument, the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, the Korean War Veteran's Memorial, and the World War II Veteran's Memorial as well as other amazing buildings. I was so excited and ready to get there! Our trip on Monday evening got me wanting to know more and left me with questions. I researched on the internet in search of answers and learned more about the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument. I was eager to go back and check out what I had learned!

My Uncle Mike, Aunt Judy, Pat, and Linda are early risers and headed into D.C. before we got up. Since Carter's nap and bedtime schedule had been so off, I wanted to let him sleep in. Mom, dad, and Jeremy elected to stay behind with me. We figured we'd meet up with them there. A task that turned out to be easier in theory than in practice. We saw my cousin Jamie with her daughters, Madeline and Julianna, at breakfast. She wasn't sure what they would do for the day and eventually decided to stay back and take the girls to play with Grant and Jen. My mom had seen all the sights in D.C. previously and was more interested in being with the kids so she decided to stay back as well. I thought about it and decided it would be best for Carter to stay back with his Grammy. He would have more fun playing with his second cousins than being lugged around all of the sights for hours in the heat with no nap. Although it was a difficult decision to make because I'd rather have had him with me and I secretly thought a picture of him at the feet of Abraham Lincoln would be the cutest, I knew it would be best for him.

We dropped mom and Carter off with my purse which acts as a diaper bag and the stroller. Since they'd be without a car seat, they would have to walk to the hotel which was only about a mile away if needed. Grant was out with Nathan watching the diggers work in their neighborhood and Carter barely noticed I left because he was so interested in Grant, the diggers, and Grant's toy digger he brought along to watch with. Mom sent me pictures throughout the day which kept me from missing Carter too much and I could tell he had a blast.
Carter preferred walking up and down the hill over watching the diggers.
Carter got to play with the toy he was desperate to play with at Grant's party.
Eating lunch with the other kids at Jen and Nate's house.
Napping on the couch in their basement!
Grant, Madeline, and Carter laying around.
I love the look Madeline is giving Carter!  She may like him as much as he likes her!

Ready for a walk!

Dad, Jeremy, and I then drove to the metro line and rode it into the city. Mike, Judy, Pat, and Linda had started their day at the Holocaust Museum so we headed there. They were a floor ahead of us and we eventually met up for a bit on the last floor as they were finishing it and we were starting it. There was security at the entrance and I cracked up laughing when I saw the look of shock on dad's face when he pulled out a Dunkin Donut box of leftover Munchkins from the night before. I had stuck it in there joking his bag was the no starvation bag after the day before when we didn't eat lunch until nearly 5:00. Dad laughed it off and offered the security guard a donut. He was quick to decline but seemed to nearly chuckle (he was very serious ). The museum was obviously very powerful and I learned quite a bit of information. My favorite section discussed people who resisted the Nazis as well as those who came to the aid and/or supported the Jewish people.
When we finished at the museum we were all in need of something emotionally uplifting after a very sad couple of hours. We checked in with our other group and they were at the White House Visitor's Center and would then head to the White House so we decided to meet them there. We realized after walking for a while that we were going the wrong way. Then we reached the White House Visitor's Center only to find it closed for renovations and directing us to a temporary visitor's center. By the time we made it to the temporary one, our group was gone and they headed back to the hotel shortly after so we never quite met up. We grabbed a quick lunch where I spilled mustard on my shirt and then headed to the White House which was cool to see, but not nearly as impressive as the other monuments and memorials. We were able to get close to the other sights whereas the White House was far away and our view was actually not as good as pictures I'd seen so it wasn't quite as exciting. It was cool to picture President Obama and past presidents walking around and working within its walls and even looking out the windows seeing the same lawn I was witnessing. We took a few pictures, stared and then headed back toward the other sights. I kept thinking " No matter where we go or how far we walk, there's still so many amazing things to see!"


I was amazed to see the Washington Monument and notice the change in color of the stones. We originally saw the monument at night so I didn't notice the different stones. Reading more about the monument, I learned that construction on the monument began in 1848 and was halted by the Know Nothing party.  Construction didn't resume until after the Civil War. Due to the halt in construction the marble is a different shade about a quarter of the way up and it was very noticeable. We walked right up to the base of the monument and it was amazing because the obelisk appeared to go on forever! I also hadn't realized what great timing we had in visiting. The monument had just opened back up to visitors in May after being closed for repairs from the 2011 hurricane and earthquake!



My view from the base of the monument.

All morning I had been eagerly awaiting our visit back to the Lincoln Memorial. As we turned and I could see it in the distance I could feel the excitement bubble up inside me. There was something about standing at the foot of Lincoln's statue that made me feel hope, happiness, and pride all in one single moment. During my research I discovered in 2003 the step Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his "I Have a Dream Speech" from was engraved. I couldn't wait to count the steps to find it! When we found it, there was a family gathered around taking pictures with the engraving. I turned, stood at the spot looking back down at the reflecting pool and the Washington Monument. I pictured the great Martin Luther Ling, Jr. standing in that very spot looking down on the over 250,000 people gathered and delivering his speech in a way only he could. I got goosebumps. Here I was in the spot where King stood at the memorial for Lincoln, my two most beloved and respected historical figures of all time. I wanted to stay there forever and I couldn't decide what I wanted to do more, watch a youtube video of the "I Have a Dream" speech or watch the movie Lincoln!

The engraving was supposed to be in the picture, but the girl who took the picture struggled.
 

The view of the Washington Monument looking out from the Lincoln Memorial.

Unfortunately we did have to leave and headed down to walk by the war memorials. My mom called shortly after inquiring on where we were as they were discussing dinner plans. We headed back to the metro to ride to our car. I told dad when we went to the National Mall on Monday night I kept thinking what an amazing place it would be to run. Then I saw some runners later that night and again during the day when we visited. He said he would bring us back after Carter went to sleep so we could run and mom could see the World War II Veteran's Memorial because it had been built since their last visit.

We met everyone at Jen and Nate's house and ate leftovers from Grant's birthday. I started joking with Pat that I was promised ice cream on the trip and had yet to receive it because he put "get ice cream" on our travel itinerary. My Aunt Judy decided if I wanted ice cream, we were getting it! We all loaded up and headed to a nearby frozen custard shop. I didn't get Carter his own ice cream figuring he could share with me because he never eats much. The little stinker went straight for Pat who was the only person with ice cream and started mooching from him. After that it became a game to him to mooch from as many people as possible! He only had a few bites from me the whole time! Toward the end people were offering Carter bites and  he was turning his head away. He definitely didn't eat enough to justify getting him his own. Man, it was delicious frozen custard! I got plain vanilla in a special cone with fudge dipped on the top section and crunched up Oreos rolled into the fudge. Just thinking about it makes me hungry!
Mooching ice cream from Pat.
Getting ice cream from Aunt Judy.
The ice cream mooch!
Cutie pie Madeline!

Carter struggled like crazy going down to bed. He'd seem to be out cold and when I'd try to sneak off he'd pop up and scream for me. One time I was almost out of the room when he did it and he decided to climb over the pillows and throw himself out of bed. I barely made it back in time to catch him before he hit the floor. After an hour I was getting really frustrated because I hated everyone waiting on me to head into D.C. for our nighttime run/visit. It was as though Carter could sense it because he popped up and gave me 2 kisses in a row. I melted and was reminded that he just loved and missed me. When we are apart all day he is clingy when I return. It's just been so long I'd forgotten. I was reminded of what it was like every night when I was working, but it didn't bother me too much then because I welcomed the extra cuddles!

Finally at 10:00 Carter was fully asleep and I snuck out. My Uncle Mike graciously agreed to stay in our room to listen for Carter and ensure his safety. When we arrived at the National Mall mom and dad headed for the World War II Veteran's Memorial while Jeremy and I took off running to the Lincoln Memorial. It is definitely a sight to see day and night, but there is something magical about it lit up with dark surrounding it. We ran up the stairs and walked toward the statue. On the way back down we asked a fellow tourist to take our picture which turned out really well. From there we ran to the Washington Monument and circled inside the flags probably 4 times staring up in awe. We ran through the World War II Memorial and then out to the Capitol Building. It was so freeing to run, feet hitting the dark pavement, breeze blowing my hair, and my eyes locked on some of our nations most impressive sights. There was something about being in our capital, knowing what it means to us as citizens, and just letting loose, allowing my legs to turn over and my arms to pump. Running back toward the Lincoln Memorial next to the reflecting pool was surreal. I would catch glimpses of the Lincoln Memorial reflected in the pool and look back to see the reflection of the Washington Monument as well. To experience all that with my brother at my side was amazing. It was the most enjoyable 5 miles of my life. That moonlit run was a highlight of the trip for me. That and seeing Carter with his second cousins. Now if only Ty were here to experience it with us, it would be perfect!
We stopped to take a few pictures during our run.
Jeremy in front of the Washington Monument.

4 comments:

  1. Mercy I would have loved to be in your pocket for the historical visits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to go to D.C. some time. It was amazing! I could have spent a whole week there and probably still not seen everything!

      Delete
  2. I can see a bit of the engraving. And, Carter tried to crawl into Pat's lap, but bumped his head and gave up. If he'd gotten there he'd have probably had a lot more custard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And walking along the reflecting pool and seeing you guys run in the evening was really awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete