Thursday, July 24, 2014

Sightseeing Day 1: Arlington National Cemetery

Tuesday was our first day of sightseeing.  We got a bit of a late start because Carter slept in late and Jeremy and I went for a quick run.  I wasn't sure how that would bode for Carter since we would arrive about an hour before his regular naptime.  I was optimistic that he would nap either in my arms as I walked or in the stroller since he had napped in my arms at Grant's birthday party.  We fed him an early lunch in the car as we drove so he at least wouldn't be hungry.  I figured the cemetery would be interesting and we would spend a couple of hours, but I had no idea how much I would learn and how fascinating it would be.  We spent nearly 5 hours walking, learning, and reading.  That put us way past lunchtime and I had eaten a very light breakfast because I was so full from everything I'd eaten at the party the day before.

It was so impressive walking up the street and seeing all the neatly aligned tombstones.  I felt incredibly grateful as an American for everything each of the soldiers laid to rest there had done for me and everyone else in our great country.  It was surreal to see the volume of people who had given their lives or spent a good deal of their lives protecting and serving our country.  I was in awe.  Then we arrived at John F. Kennedy's resting place and it was done so beautifully with the eternal flame and some of his quotes etched in stone.  In the museum at the entrance I read that Kennedy had been on a tour of Arlington and had stopped in that area and said it was so beautiful he could stay there forever.  It was so powerful to know he had said that and now he is doing just that.  From the area I looked out to the cemetery and the vast number of tombstones.  It was beautiful and sad all mixed together.
Heading into the ticket area with Aunt Judy.
In front of the wall with all of Kennedy's powerful quotes.
Mom, dad, me, Carter, and Jeremy.

Going into the trip I knew a little bit about the Tomb of the the Unknown Soldier, but I was not prepared for the emotions it would invoke.  We were able to watch the changing of the guard three times and it was impressive.  I was amazed by the attention to detail and the discipline of the soldiers involved.  I imagined the pain of the families of soldiers whose bodies were never found.  I imagined the tomb would bring a little bit of comfort, knowing maybe that was their loved one and knowing that tomb represented their lost love.  As I was standing reading the inscription "Here Rests in Honored Glory An American Soldier Known But to God" I noticed a woman standing near me crying.  I imagined she had a loved one who hadn't returned from war and the tomb symbolized her loved one.  I became emotional and walked away rather than crying along with her.  Standing at that tomb and reading all the information within the museum-type area next to it was the kind of moment that changes your life just a little.  That softens your heart.  That causes you to feel empathy for those you have never met.  I am so thankful that modern day technology allows us to identify soldiers lost in battle so families may better cope with the grief of losing their brave soldier.  I am so glad I had the opportunity to visit such an amazing memorial for our soldiers.  We spent around 2 hours of our time at the tomb and it was hard to leave.
Enjoying shoulder rides from Grampy.
I lifted and pushed Carter and the stroller all the way up the stairs toward the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on my own.  Dad got a picture of us at the top.  I was worn out!

Tired boy at the Arlington Memorial Amphitheater.
Carter had a blast walking up and down the rows of the amphitheater with his Grampy.
When we left Arlington everyone was tired and hungry.  Traffic was horrible as it was rush hour so I talked dad into stopping at McDonald's since it was the closest restaurant I saw and I hadn't eaten anything other than half a yogurt at breakfast and it was nearly 5:00!  Hangry doesn't begin to describe what I was feeling.  The drive back to our hotel from McDonald's should have taken us 20 minutes and took closer to an hour.  When we got back we headed out to the pool in Jen and Nate's neighborhood and I was shocked by Carter's bravery in the water!  There was a kiddie pool and when I set him in it and he realized he could walk around (the water hit him right around his waist) he took off.  It was amazing how quickly he walked and without fear!  He would even climb out of the pool all by himself and then accept a little bit of help when he was ready to get back in.  My little love is such a dare devil!  Since we are used to much warmer weather, I noticed after a little while that Carter was shaking and his lips were trembling so I dried him off, took his wet clothes off, put him in my shirt and we were ready to go.  It was another amazing day and could only have been better if I'd gotten to eat lunch and Ty had been with us!  I ended the day looking forward to more sightseeing the following day!
Playing with Madeline.
Playing with Grant.
Carter LOVED the water spraying out!
Jen was moving around with Madeline and Grant sitting on her.  Jamie is in the background with Julianna.
Carter followed Madeline and sat down beside her.  Then Grant came to get a drink too.  So cute!
Carter's face in this picture cracks me up!!!

2 comments:

  1. And of course, good pictures again. It was so neat to see Carter in the pool. I hope he gets to try the wading pools here.

    ReplyDelete