Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Grant's Birthday Party

So far we've had 3 nights in hotels and 3 nights of Carter sleeping in bed with me rather than in the Pack N Play.  I feel like I wasted space packing it, but you never can predict those things!  He initially goes to sleep in his Pack N Play and then wakes up desperate for me around midnight, so I move him over to the bed with me.  Last night I skipped the Pack N Play because it just wasn't happening and brought him to bed with me.  I woke up so excited because the whole reason why we made this crazy long trip had arrived, Grant's 3rd birthday party!  Carter seemed a bit groggy and tired still, probably due to not napping as long in the car as he normally naps at home paired with numerous late nights back to back and all that riding in the car.  We went straight down to breakfast after getting dressed and Carter was thrilled to see his Grampy working out in the fitness room as we walked by to the breakfast area.  Then at breakfast we saw Grammy, my Uncle Mike, my mom's cousin Pat, and his wife Linda.  Carter enjoyed double fisting breakfast with his left hand in Raisin Bran and his right in oatmeal.  Soon after we arrived everyone else left, but much to Carter's excitement Madeline showed up.  He saw her and began saying "Madin" and slid off my lap to follow her around as she picked out her breakfast.  We stayed for a while and then I talked Carter into going back to the room so I could get ready.

The party started at 10:30 and was about 30 minutes away, but my dad thought it was at Nate and Jen's house which was only 2 minutes away.  We left late and arrived about 15 minutes after the party started.  The party was at a huge and awesome park and all the other kids were already off playing so Carter and I headed out to play.  Carter saw a carousel and was desperate to ride, but I had been given a token and told all the kids were going to ride together later so I told Carter we needed to wait.  Plus my mom had taken Carter on the carousel at the zoo a few months ago and she said he was excited until it started moving and was then terrified.  I didn't want to take him on it and then go again with the other kids if he was terrified.
Madeline, Julianna, and Carter taking a break for drinks at the kid table.
Carter kept trying to sit in Madeline's lap, but we told him he's too big!

They served sandwiches, fruit, and pasta salad for lunch.  Carter was so proud to sit at the kid's table with Madeline to eat his lunch.  I was amazed he was sitting there all by himself eating so nicely and must've jinxed it by thinking that because he started crying for me and walked over to me after a while.  So I went with him and sat at the table with him.  Then he was desperate to be in my lap and it just wasn't possible at that tiny table so I stood up and ate my food behind him hoping if he couldn't see me he would be content, and he was.  Grant blew out the candles on his cake and had a blast sticking his fingers in the icing and licking it off.  I grabbed a piece that had a Grant fingerprint in it which was adorable.  Once I bit into the cake I instantly knew why Grant was so interested in licking the icing, it was delicious!  It was the best icing I've ever tasted on a commercial birthday cake!
Carter and Madeline at the kid table.  Carter kept trying to get chips!
He loved watching Madeline!

Grant enjoying his icing while Madeline watched.

We went off to play for a while longer after lunch.  Surprisingly, or I should really say not surprisingly, with all the awesome equipment available to play on, Carter's favorite was walking up and down the hill right by the pavilion we ate at!  Soon after we went off to play it was time to ride the carousel with all the other kids.  Carter was so excited at first and we picked out a horse right by the birthday boy!  I strapped him on and he was so content sitting on his horse until he heard the noise which meant the carousel was about to start moving.  Then his face immediately turned fearful and he desperately reached for me and clung to me as we began moving.  As we went by and I pointed out Uncie Jeremy Carter laughed and smiled.  He did the same for his Grammy and Grampy.  Once we were past them he would go back to being scared.  We'd get to them and he was again thrilled to be on his horse!  I also got him to look over at Grant riding his horse which made him laugh and not be scared.  I'd say it will take a few more tries and some time before he's comfortable on a carousel.
Ready to ride the carousel.
Carter had a prime spot right next to Grant!
Holding hands with Madeline after getting off the carousel.

I was out of diapers in my purse so my dad took Carter to the car for a diaper change.  When they came back Carter looked exhausted.  I took him and he almost immediately fell asleep in my arms for the remainder of the party.  We stayed for probably 30-45 minutes while Carter napped in my arms.  It's hard for me to know for sure because I love holding Carter while he sleeps so much the time quickly slips by.  It was fun to sit while holding Carter and watch Grant play.  He was having a blast playing with his balloons and hitting them with the pinata stick.  He is such a cute kid!  I was surprised that Carter woke up when I put him in his car seat and didn't fall back to sleep.  When we got back to the hotel I started to think he may not go back to sleep because he was struggling so much and crawling all over the bed.  Finally I put him in the Pack N Play and he fell asleep but a fire truck went by a few minutes later waking him up.  He stood crying for me so I got him out and laid on the bed with him where we both ended up falling asleep.  He was so tired from the day's festivities he slept for over 2 hours!
Zonked out after all the fun!
While Carter was sleeping everyone else headed over to Nate (my cousin), Jen (his wife), and Grant's (their son) house for dinner, the pinata, ice cream, and present opening.  Finally I woke Carter up because I didn't want him to miss out on all the fun and my dad headed back to pick us up.  Carter enjoyed playing with Madeline, Grant, and Julianna as well as some of Grant's friends.  When it came time to break the pinata Carter took off running toward it when it got broken.  He grabbed up candy to put in his bag and once it was filled he threw them one by one back to the ground.  They hung the pinata back up and offered Carter a turn but he had no interest.  He just wanted to check the ground again.  After the pinata Grant opened his presents.  One of his first presents was a car carrier with 2 decks both covered with hot wheels-sized cars.  The minute Carter saw the present he yelled "car, car, car" and ran toward the present.  He kept trying to go back over and play with it so we had to distract him with other hot wheels cars Grant had.  I took note that Carter would like one for his birthday or Christmas.  We facetimed Ty for a bit and then headed back to the hotel because Carter was exhausted.
Playing with Julianna.
Carter swooping in and checking out the candy while they hung the pinata back up.
Carter clapping for Madeline and waiting to grab more candy.
Carter going for candy rather than hitting the pinata.
Collecting candy after Grant knocked the pinata down for the 2nd time.
Playing cars with Madeline and practicing sharing.
Playing with the dump truck with Pat.
I quickly changed my shirt which Carter had soiled with a blow out diaper and headed down to meet Nathan, my Uncle Mike, Jeremy, my mom's cousin Pat, and Linda (Pat's wife) for a nighttime tour of D.C.  Nathan works in D.C. and knew the quickest way to get everywhere.  He drove by Arlington National Cemetery, the Pentagon, Pentagon City, and lots of government buildings which we just looked at through the window.  Then he drove us by the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Capitol.  He looped back around and parked so we could get out and walk around.  It was amazing to see.  The dark seemed to make it all that much more impressive.  I couldn't get enough of the Lincoln Memorial and am excited to go back and check it out during the day.  We also saw the Korean War Veterans Memorial and the World War II Veterans Memorial.  I kept wishing Ty was with us because I knew he would have loved to see everything.  I took pictures with my phone and texted them to him, hoping he would feel as though he was on the tour with us.  I sure miss my man!  All in all it was a great day spent with family!
Me and Jeremy at the Lincoln Memorial.
The view of the Washington Monument from the World War 2 Memorial.

8 comments:

  1. That's what I would have loved! The history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool and left me with so many questions so I did research before we went back which made the next trip even better!

      Delete
  2. Great pictures, now I feel like I am there! - Leina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was hoping, I could be a virtual tour guide of our trip!

      Delete
  3. How on EARTH do you get Carter to take a 2+ hour nap after a cat-nap in the car!? I'm awed. ;) And isn't DC so much fun!? I grew up about an hour West of the city. I can't wait to take Liam to the Air and Space Museum and the Museum of Natural History when he's a bit older! (My dad can't wait to take him to a Nationals game. It's all about being well-rounded. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so exhausted! Between all the driving and then the excitement of the party he crashed. He also enjoyed laying in the bed with me. There was so much in DC, I wish we had more time to see it all! Even a whole week there wouldn't have been enough!

      Delete