Monday, July 28, 2014

St. Louis Day

This morning Carter woke up earlier than he has most days of the trip since we went to bed close to his normal bedtime.  We got up and headed down to breakfast and to play at the indoor play area.  Last night when we arrived and he saw the indoor play area he ran to it squealing even though he was tired and was so excited to climb on it.  My mom met us at breakfast and through talking decided it would be best to head to the Magic House in the morning before Carter's nap.  It's easier to push his nap back than it is to put him down early and hope he wakes up early.  I swear when I do that he naps for 3 hours!  Aunt Netta had suggested the Magic House when I said we'd be hanging around Monday waiting to see my dad's family when they got off work.  We had originally planned to go to the City Museum, but the Magic House was more age appropriate.  I was so glad she suggested it.
Playing at the hotel before breakfast.
Walking to the Magic House entrance with Grampy and Grammy.

The first room we entered had a play kitchen and Carter had a blast.  He put strawberries in the oven, turned the dial, tried to eat fake waffles, and put fruit out on plates.  I think he could have played there for hours.  We finally convinced him to try out the next room with a tree house, inside play area, and a sand box filled with recycled plastic.  Carter loved the sand box and again could have played there for an hour.  He loved filling the scoop and even enjoyed climbing into the sand box to sit in the middle.  The inside play area had playground equipment.  Carter's favorite was doors in shapes that opened with clear plastic behind them.  Jeremy and I would take turn standing at a window and he'd open it to find us.  He thought it was absolutely hysterical. 



Making a toy fly using a simple machine in one of the rooms.  Sorry mom, your face looked silly in all the pictures I had.
Carter in the tree house.


From there we went to the basement with an area about government with an oval office and everything.  I got goosebumps from all the amazing teaching points and the fact that they had books related to each topic within the rooms.  There was also a construction area.  My mom had been dying to see Carter climb up the bean stalk which was 3 stories tall.  He was too small to do it by himself so I went with him.  Let me tell ya, there were a few spots that were tight fits.  By the time I made it from the basement to the 2nd floor I was out of breath with rug burns on my knees and elbows, but Carter seemed to enjoy it.  Carter was starting to tucker out by that time, but still enjoyed the outside garden, model trains, and giant kaleidoscope.  When we left the train area he cried and said "choo choo" over and over.

Carter for president!
Checking out the tubing system to put balls in.

I cracked up watching him walk around with his hands behind his back!
The tubes were powered by air.  I got the handkerchief flying out of the tube.

Enjoying the construction area.
 


Climbing up the beanstalk.
Pointing at the train.
In an attempt to make my way back toward the entrance I headed the wrong way and found a whole new section of the museum which I didn't know existed.  I wished we had started in that area because is was for children 0-5 years old.  Carter would have absolutely loved everything there.  There was a giant water area and Carter tried to climb on top of it to get in the water.  When I told him no and pulled him down he began sobbing.  That's when I grabbed him and high tailed it to the food area to get him lunch so we could take him home for his nap.  Little man had hit his breaking point.  I wished we had days to spend at the museum going through and really enjoying everything.  As it was there was so much to do that we had to rush through some areas and completely missed others.  If only we had somewhere like that closer to home!

Trying to make a giant bubble with Grampy.
Some wild hair!
I couldn't decide which picture was better so I added them both!
Carter fell asleep in the car on the way back to the hotel but still went straight back to sleep when I got him in bed.  When he woke up we got ready to head to my uncle's house.  My dad's parents and all 3 brothers came over for dinner and to celebrate my grandpa and my birthday.  My mom has always said I was born a people pleaser.  My maternal great grandma's birthday was July 28th and my paternal grandpa's birthday is July 30th.  Everyone on my mom's side was rooting for me to be born on the 28th and everyone on my dad's side was rooting for me to be born on the 30th.  So rather than hurt anyone's feelings I was born right in the middle on the 29th.

Carter offering some food to his great grandpa.
Everyone was impressed with Carter's "super blonde hair" and asked where he got it.  He gets it from his daddy!  Carter was instantly smitten with my Uncle Dan and loved to follow him around and hang out with him.  My Uncle Dan let him play in the waterfall they have in their entryway.  I joked that to become Carter's BFF, just let him do something I normally wouldn't let him do.  When we ate dinner I took Carter's food to a table on their deck and let him sit in a chair.  My grandma and cousin Ian were already sitting so I headed back in to fix my plate and Carter's drink.  On my way back in I decided to grab my camera to get a picture of Carter sitting next to Ian.  I was impressed that Carter wasn't at all concerned that I left him.  Once I made my plate and came back out the table was full so I sat out in their yard.  Carter was at a table with mostly people he hadn't seen in a year with my grandma and grandpa being the exception, he saw them at his 1st birthday party, and he was just as happy as could be eating his dinner.  I was so proud of him and couldn't believe what a great job he was doing!  The night went by too quickly and before I knew it grandpa and I were blowing out candles on a joint cake.  By the time we were opening presents Carter was on the verge of an overtired meltdown.  It was past 9:00 and baby boy normally goes to bed at 8:30 at the very latest.  He went to the door, grabbed my shoes, and brought them to me saying "go, go, go".  He couldn't have made his wants any more apparent!  He's such a cutie pie!  Tomorrow morning we'll get up and start the drive back to home sweet home.  I can't wait to grab and squeeze Ty's face.  Seeing him tomorrow will be the best birthday present I've ever received!!!!  
Carter helping Uncle Dan as the assistant grill master.
All the guys and Carter decided to jump in!  Uncle Doug, Uncle Dan, Grandpa, Uncle Dennis, Dad, and Jeremy.
Carter eating next to my cousin, Ian.
Carter didn't mind sitting at a table where he didn't really know anyone!

8 comments:

  1. I love the wild hair. Looks like a very fun place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast! Ty specifically requested a picture of Carter with the wild hair because he had a picture of himself from when he was a kid.

      Delete
  2. The Magic House is awesome! Glad that there is a photo of Ty and Carter with electricity hair!!
    I adore the pictures of Carter at the table eating, just his sweet face peering over the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see if Leina has a copy of Ty with his electric hair!!!

      Delete
  3. I love the pictures you have that I don't. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my face looked like that with the catapult because I was always afraid it would hit my face. I guess, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured. I just wanted you to know I didn't purposely choose a goofy face one!

      Delete