Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Week 20 Bumpdate

We had our week 20 appointment yesterday.  The first thing our doctor did was confirm that we are in fact having a girl.  Now I feel better about buying girl stuff and preparing the nursery.  He showed us her girl parts and explained everything to us and it was quite obvious to us that we can expect a little Elise.  He also checked all of her organs along with her face.  He saw no signs of cleft palate and said everything looked beautiful.  He wants to get a better look at the heart during our next appointment because the spine was casting a shadow over it so he couldn't be sure, but he said it looked like a 4 chamber heart.  Baby girl's heart beat was 154 beats per minute.  The ultrasound pictures we got from our appointment weren't the best, but you can see Elise's head and spine really well.
Here you see Elise's head on the left and her spine right up against my belly.
Here you see a side view of Elise's head and body.
This month Ty was approved for overtime at work so he's leaving an hour earlier than usual.  Since he left for work before Carter was awake we waited to do the bump photos until the evening when he returned home.  I had tutoring until 6 pm and everyone was hungry when I got home, so we didn't do the photos until after dinner.  This will probably be the case for the rest of the month while Ty is doing overtime.  So my belly is going to be out in full force for the pictures, haha!  I had Carter stripped down and ready for his bath when I remembered we needed to do the pictures, so I just threw a diaper back on him for pictures.
 

November 18, 2014

Baby's Size: Baby is the size of a banana, about 6.5 inches crown to rump or 10 inches head to heel.  Up until this week baby's legs have been curled up against her torso so they couldn't be measured.  From now on baby will be measured head to heel.

Weight Gain: I forgot to weigh in until lunch time and the scale said I've gained 7 pounds.  I'd say that's probably pretty accurate since I've been gaining a pound a week for a while now.  That puts me right on track with where I was with Carter as I had gained 8 pounds at our 20 week appointment with him.  Check out the comparison between my 20 week picture with him and how I look now.


Maternity Clothes: Still wearing maternity pants with a mixture of maternity tops and regular tops that are a little bit longer.  My mom called me from Motherhood Maternity this past weekend and picked out some sweaters for me!  I was so excited!

Sleep: I'm still pretty tired, but not as tired as I have been.  I've been able to skip a nap a few days, I just really run out of steam after dinner and am ready for bed at 9 pm.  I do best with a 30 minute nap time.  Some nights I make it through the night only waking up once to go to the bathroom.  Other nights it's upward to 4 times.  I can still sleep on my back without any problems, but typically sleep on one of my sides.  The body pillow is really good at regulating how I sleep.

Symptoms: I'm starting to get more energy and feel great all the way until nap time.  I definitely need some rest then!  I'm also feeling large and in charge as though I'm leading with my belly.  I don't have that off balanced feeling yet, but I'm sure it's coming soon.  Elise pushes really hard on my belly toward the bottom right.  There will be a bulge that you can put your hand on and feel.  Ty and his mom have both felt it.  During our ultrasound the doctor pointed out where Elise's head is and I realized she's been pushing her sweet, little head against my stomach.  Now I wish I could lean down and kiss the bump!  If I stand up too fast I get light headed and feel like I'm going to pass out.  I have to stop and lean against something until I feel back to normal.  I only had dry heaves one morning while brushing my teeth.  They are definitely on their way out!  Since I'm losing my hips due to the growing belly I struggle to carry Carter when I'm wearing a coat.  I can't balance him on my hip and my coat is slick so he slides.  If I have both hands free, it's no big deal.  If I'm carrying something in one hand, it's a real struggle! 

Running: My weekly mileage was 13 miles.  Carter and I have been meeting Ty at the trails after he gets off work because it's so cold in the morning.  Ty was unmotivated and only ran 2 miles.  I didn't want to run extra after getting back to the parking lot so my mileage slacked.  This week the temperature dropped dramatically and I had to pull out my running tights.  My regular tights put a lot of pressure on my lower belly/uterus so I pulled out the larger sized tights I bought on sale when I was pregnant with Carter.  The waist band is loose and feels wonderful but I have to pull it up higher on my belly so I'm pulling a Steve Urkel as I run.  I remember around this time with Carter I started feeling all over the place with my running and my form was off.  It's still feeling really good right now and my form still feels smooth.  I ran during Carter's nap on Saturday and it was the first time I'd run without the stroller during a training run since this summer.  Just like when I was pregnant with Carter, it takes me a while to get warmed up and my first mile is slow.  After the first mile I was averaging 8:45 pace which surprised me! 

Food Cravings: I've been enjoying hot chocolate with whipped cream as a treat, but not really craving it.  One day I wanted a mushroom burger and sweet potato fries from Smash Burger really badly.  Burgers sound good quite often.

Food Aversions: Still barbeque and smoked meat, yuck!

Movement: Sweet Elise is still a movin and a shakin all the time!  Anytime I sit down she moves around for at least a little while.  She especially likes to move around when I'm driving.  I think it's because the seat belt is uncomfortable for her.  She also likes to shove her head up against my stomach. 

Best Moment of the Week: Getting confirmation that we are having a girl.  I like to wait to really start planning things until we confirm the sex.  I'm already getting excited thinking about stuff we can start on this weekend: look at fabric, pick up paint, start decorative projects, register so people can buy us baby stuff for Christmas if they'd like. 

Currently Loving: Having a bigger belly.  I love feeling like I'm leading with my belly.  It's nice to know baby is growing and developing at a healthy rate which is causing my large belly.  I love actually looking pregnant to where people don't look at me and wonder if I just let myself go.  I'm at the point where there's no guessing, I'm obviously pregnant.     

Miss Anything: Nope

What Big Brother is Up to This Week: Carter went to his first friend birthday party this weekend and then his second friend birthday party hours later.  It was an awesomely fun day!  He again went with us to our prenatal check-up.  When the doctor did the ultrasound Carter started saying, "Baby, momma's baby."  When the doctor finished the ultrasound Carter told him thank you.  It was absolutely adorable!  My Week 20 Bumpdate with Carter.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. It all looks good. Carter is really into the boots, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, he really wanted to wear the rain boots but they were big enough his feet didn't reach the bottom!

      Delete