Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Baby Boy Sick Again

Carter has been coughing and seemed to have a cold for weeks.  This weekend he was sounding wheezy and had a temperature on Saturday, but when I took his temperature a couple hours later it was back down to 98.6.  I've been nervous that his cold was turning into bronchitis or possibly an ear infection.  With his temp staying in the normal range I figured it wasn't an ear infection.  Normally in the morning he is up by 6:00-6:30, occasionally sleeping in until 7:00.  This morning he didn't wake up until 7:15 and knowing he hadn't been feeling very good I let him sleep so I was running late to work.  As I got back into my car after dropping him off I got a text from another teacher asking me to cover her morning duty.  I got a little stressed out knowing I was running a couple minutes late and I still needed to set out lesson plans for another teacher who was out for the day.  Not the best start to my day!
Not feeling so hot.

Once class started the morning went off without a hitch (or as much so as it can when it relies on 47 little 6, 7, and 8 year olds).  I dropped the students off in special class and headed back to my room to work during plan time.  With about 5 minutes left in my plan time I got a call from Carter's daycare.  His temp was up to 101.3 degrees.  With only 5 minutes to make sub plans for the rest of the day and secure a sub which is typically pretty impossible half-way through the day, I called Ty.  He was able to get off, pick Carter up, and take him to the doctor.  The doctor said Carter definitely has an upper respiratory infection and possibly the flu.  We'll keep taking his temperature and if it gets up to 102 or so, the doctor will call him in meds because that would indicate he has the flu.

Even though he wasn't feeling very good, Carter was still a good boy for his daddy.  It killed me being at work when Carter was sick, but I kept telling myself only a few more months and I will get to spend every sick day at home with him and there will be fewer of them!  By the time I got home Carter had only napped for an hour and a half, which isn't much when he's sick!  All he wanted to do was cuddle all snuggled up on the couch which was fine by me.  Eventually he grabbed my hands, slid off my lap, and took off walking (holding onto my hands) to the kitchen.  I figured he must be hungry and wondered when he had eaten his afternoon snack.  I checked with Ty when he got home from his run and he hadn't fed Carter at all.  So he picked Carter up at noon and they skipped lunch and afternoon snack.  At first I was concerned, but figured Carter must've eaten his morning snack at daycare so at least he'd last eaten at 9:30 or so rather than 7:15.  Ty brought in Carter's sheet from daycare and he hadn't eaten morning snack either.  Poor little Carter man went from 7:15 am until 6:00 pm without eating!  Needless to say he chowed down at dinner.  He devoured chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, and a huge helping of cranberry applesauce. 

I'm so glad I get to stay home with him tomorrow.  After that I will only have 6 sick days left for February, March, April, and May.  At the rate we're going that may not be enough.  So my mom has offered to come Thursday and/or Friday if need be.

We've been working on getting Carter to walk only holding onto one hand rather than both of our hands.  He was doing an awesome job with Ty tonight and did it all the way down the hall.  Of course by the time I made it to my phone and started recording he was pretty much done, but you can see his disdain for it and how much better his balance is!


  1. poor guy, he was so tired and wanted another hand to hold. :)

    1. I know, he rocked it down the hall, but was just too tired once I started filming!

  2. Oh my! Poor Carter! I can just imagine how worried you were when you found out about his condition, to think that you couldn't get out of work at that time. Good thing Ty was able to get to him as fast as he could. Anyway, at least everything turned out for the better and that all is well now. Thanks for sharing that, Liz! All the best to your family!

    Candace Hudson @ MedCare Pediatric

    1. Getting a call your baby is sick is always the worst! Thankfully it never turned into the flu!