Tuesday, November 19, 2013

We Have a Crawler!

Carter crawled for the first time tonight and it's hard to describe how extremely excited I am!  This weekend he started army crawling like a fiend.  Then last night he would get up on all 4's and hop his legs at the same time which I deemed his bunny hop.  I told anyone who would listen that Carter would definitely crawl for the first time this week.  So I wasn't surprised when he crawled today, but it was a bit sooner than I anticipated.

I was getting his bath ready (so in the video please excuse the messy face and absence of pants) and walked out of the room.  Of course Harper followed me and then I turned around to see Carter working his way down the hallway after us.  I freaked out.  Total squealing, flailing my arms and running to my phone excitement.  Unfortunately I had just plugged it in to charge because it had died earlier and it still wouldn't turn on.  Ty was unloading the car and when I heard him walk in I yelled for him and nabbed his phone.  We used Ty's keys to entice Carter and were able to catch him on video!

With little Carter man we haven't been accustomed to waiting.  He showed up 4 weeks early and never slowed down.  He rolled over early, he sat up early, he started rolling as a mode of transportation early, but when it came to crawling we were at a loss for words.  I knew he would do it eventually on his own time, but then his 9 month check-up came and went.  Then he was 10 months old and I was left scratching my head.  When was our baby ever going to move from rolling to crawling? 

Everyone had advice.  Put him on the floor more.  We already were.  Stop carrying him around all the time.  I really wasn't.  Find a toy he loves and will crawl to.  Complete fail.  As much as I wanted to help him reach this great milestone, I also knew sometimes all a child needs is some time and space.  My years in education have taught me sometimes you just have to step back and let a child get there on their own.  That's what we did with Carter and it is amazing he's finally here.  He may have kept us waiting, but it was worth the wait and makes this milestone even more exciting! 

Sick Baby Update: The doctor prescribed new meds for Carter and he seems to be doing much better.  He woke up in the middle of the night last night, but we're hoping he'll make it through the night tonight!


2 comments:

  1. So much fun to see! I hope he sleeps well for you. And sometimes with neurological advance they don't sleep as well right? Maybe that was part of it. :) Good job, Carter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! He did, he slept all the way until 5:30!

      Delete