Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thinking Turkey

I've been having so much fun making Carter all types of random finger foods now that he can eat so many different things, I can mix foods together, and I can add seasonings.  The first time I made him something special, only to see it tossed to the floor, was disappointing but I quickly realized it takes time.  Some foods (like black beans) he gobbles up immediately.  Some foods (like eggs) take 3 tries before he shows any interest in putting them in his mouth.  He finally ate eggs today although he did end up with a chunk on top of his head and threw a few pieces to the floor just for Harper.  He has definitely realized how much fun it is to feed Harper!

Eggplant was a puree Carter wasn't too thrilled to eat, but would reluctantly down.  For some reason I decided to buy it to feed him as a finger food.  The fact that some things he liked as purees he doesn't eat very well as finger food didn't bode well for how eating eggplant would go.  He hated it, would spit it out immediately, or throw it directly on the floor.  Hoping to salvage the eggplant I looked up some recipes.  I ended up quartering what was left, brushing it with olive oil, sprinkling it with some basil, baking it for 25 minutes, adding and melting cheese, and serving it to Carter cooled.  He put the eggplant chunk in his mouth and slowly stuck his tongue out and pushed it out.  After that he threw bites to Harper and reached around the eggplant to get to other foods.  We had the same type of problem with cucumber.  I tried cutting it up, putting it in yogurt, and adding a half teaspoon of cumin.  Luckily that combination was a success!

Not loving eggplant.
With all the fun I've had making Carter's food and playing with different spices and food combinations, I am really looking forward to Thanksgiving!  I am more excited for Thanksgiving this year than I have ever been.  I can't wait to all be sitting around the table eating our yummy food with Carter right next to us eating his food off his high chair tray.  I have so much to be thankful about and on the top of the list is our happy, healthy baby boy!

For some reason I love the idea of Carter eating stuffing.  I started searching online to find a baby version stuffing recipe with no luck.  I may look at our stuffing recipe and just pick and choose what can go into a small amount of stuffing for him.  While I was searching I found some great websites with ideas for baby's first Thanksgiving.  My favorite baby food website, Wholesome Baby Food, even has a whole Thanksgiving recipe section.  I would love making the purees for Carter if he were a bit younger.  Whether Carter ends up with stuffing on his tray or not, I know he's going to love all the foods he's served!
He's already got the turkey coma down!

2 comments:

  1. He looks enormous in the turkey coma picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it made me teary eyed, but Ty swore it was just the camera angle!

      Delete