Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Running Lately

Jeremy Update:

Today was another busy day for Jeremy. He got to eat for the first time. He had vanilla yogurt, apple juice, and hot chocolate. He is still on a feeding tube and continues to lose weight so hopefully he'll be able to put on some weight as he begins eating food. He wrote the word dog on his white board when asked. He also looked through some books I brought up that Carter and I have written together during various learning themes. He was reading one about the color red with my mom and when she got to a page with a stop sign she asked what color it was and he said, "stop!" I'm so glad we have all those books for him to look through as he relearns how to read. My mom had the idea to FaceTime Carter so he and Jeremy could talk and they both loved it. Jeremy immediately told Carter how cute he was. When Carter said, "I love you, Uncie J!" Jeremy responded with, "I love you, buddy!" When Carter blew kisses Jeremy blew them back. I went up to visit again tonight and happened to show up right when Jeremy was due for some pain medication so he was extremely agitated and had a headache. He was not too pleased with me because I was holding his hands back from pulling out his trach tube, but later he was back to blowing me kisses. It was amazing how quickly the medicine gave him relief. We were all thankful as it is so difficult to see him in pain! I asked him if he had a good day and he shook his head yes. I'm excited to see what he is up to tomorrow. Now on to random tidbits about my running lately...

After Jeremy's accident I continued to run but things just weren't the same. I emotionally wasn't in it and found myself crying through my first few runs. Then as time went on I was able to make it through runs without crying, but I had to force myself to get out there and had a serious lack of motivation to do much other than slog through a few miles. It was therapeutic for me to run and I knew it was making me feel better, but I was exhausted and down and just struggling. Finally I started to enjoy running again and got antsy when I missed a run. My paces started to slowly creep back down to where they had been before the accident. I kept thinking I was stuck in a rut. I was running the goal splits for my speed work and tempo runs but my heart just wasn't in it. I wasn't getting that kicking ass and taking names feeling anymore. Speedwork wasn't as satisfying when I didn't feel like I was cruising and rocking out. Just this past week I finally started to get that turn over in my legs, that "I'm going to crush this run," feeling in my chest, the excitement to get out and run hard. A couple weeks ago I ran a 5 mile tempo run at 6:58 pace. My goal pace was 7:00 minutes per mile so I beat that, but just didn't feel strong. Then just one week later I ran a 10k tempo run at 6:56 pace and felt great. Not only did I add a mile to my tempo and still run faster than the previous week, but it was also significantly windier the second week. It has been amazing how much my running has improved since Jeremy has gone from a coma, to stable, to talking, and now even reading and writing! I've always known emotions and mental health can really effect running, I've just never seen those aspects have such a huge impact on my training.  
I was pretty proud of that 10k tempo!
 
This weekend I will be racing a 10k at the Sweetheart Run. I am excited. I'm ready to put my training to the test and see what I can do. I ran my 10k tempo in 43:17 so I'm itching to drop a few seconds per mile and pull off a sub 43 performance. My original goal was to break 44 minutes but I know I should be well under that based on my tempo runs. I'm also a bit emotional about the race. The whole reason I switched to the 10k rather than the 5k was because Jeremy wanted to start running longer distances at races. I decided to tackle my first 10k in years so I could run with him. We were signed up as a team, The Sweet Sibs. Now I'll be running the race alone 45 minutes after everyone else completes the 5k. It feels lonely and sad just thinking about it. But I also feel like this is a test. This will make me stronger. I feel like I'm running this for Jeremy and I want to run my very best! We've had a super windy week with the wind at 15-20 mph every day and gusts up to 40 mph so I'm hoping for a calmer Saturday morning. I'll be thinking of all of you and everything you've done for Jeremy and my family through thoughts, prayers, and gifts as I tackle this next race without him there. I keep telling myself we already did the Runway Run 5k and it can't get any worse than that! I think each race without Jeremy there will keep getting a little bit easier until finally he's back there walking or running with us!
Group shot before the race.
Ready for the fun run.

No comments:

Post a Comment