Sunday, February 7, 2016

Jeremy Update

Yesterday I forgot to mention that Jeremy reached over onto a table by his bed, grabbed wipes, and attempted to open them when he wanted cleaned up. The other day he got a hold of the remote by his bed and turned on his tv. He was also busy today. This morning my dad was with him and thought he'd write a word on a dry erase board to show to Jeremy. He wrote cat and asked Jeremy to read it. Jeremy looked over and immediately read cat. One of the areas of the brain that plays a large roll in reading was damaged in Jeremy's brain. It was nice to know he was able to look at and recognize the word. We don't know if he will be able to decode and blend sounds as he improves, but his recall of the word cat gives us hope. Dad wanted to see if he would do it again once my mom arrived so he wrote another CVC (consonant/vowel/consonant) word on the dry erase board and asked Jeremy to read it. Jeremy looked at the word, grabbed a paper towel, passed it from one hand to the other, situated it in his hand, and then erased the word. We all cracked up over that. He is still just as much of a spitfire as always and is doing things his own way! He also did all the steps to erase the board that his OT taught him. We are seeing a few more of the behaviors that will come out during level 4 of his recovery. Today the nurse wanted to swab his tongue to help with the thrush he has. My dad was singing on one side and I was opening my mouth and opening wide to show him what to do. It was overstimulating for him and I was the person closest to him so he slapped me. Tonight he has been even more of a spitfire telling the nurses they are cute and pretty. I guess it's always good to butter up the people taking care of you! I'm excited to see what he's up to next! 

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe how far he's come and how quickly! I know it's probably felt much longer for you all, but in a little over a month, he's being a spitfire and recognizing words! This is all so exciting! And I have to giggle a little at how deep down, we are all kind of like toddlers. ;) And how lucky is Jeremy that he has a family of teachers! I feel like his recovery will go so much faster and more successfully because you all know how to teach and are passionate about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! None of us expected him to be doing so much already! He has come so far, especially to think he has only been in this new facility for a week! My dad was just saying the other day maybe the reason he ended up researching how to teach reading and making that his specialty was so he could reteach Jeremy to read. It just seems so perfect that is his area of passion, I taught 1st grade, my mom is passionate about occupational therapy, and Thomas is a school psychologist. We are definitely better prepared to help him than we would have been in different fields. Plus we know people who can give us advice!

      Delete