Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Elise's First Valentine's Day: A Photo Shoot

Jeremy Update:

Jeremy was able to clip his fingernails today and they will be bringing in a shower chair so he can take a shower. He is slowly taking over more and more self care. I've been taking Carter up to visit every evening after I put Elise down for bed and most the time Jeremy is tired and not very alert. My mom had the great idea of coming to our house after naptime so I could take Carter up earlier in the day when Jeremy's more alert. She stayed home and played with Elise and it sounded like they had a lot of fun. Jeremy and Carter played some basketball and we went on a couple of walks. Carter rode in the wheelchair while Jeremy walked with his walker all the way to the end of the hall. Then Jeremy got tired so they switched. Jeremy kept telling Carter how awesome he was and at one point said, "Good job, buddy! You are so good at that. You are better at that than me. But that's because I have a bad leg. You are Superman! You are Iron Man!" Then Carter got tired of walking with the walker so Jeremy let him ride on his lap and was careful to move him over off his bad leg so Carter rode on Jeremy's right leg. Jeremy is still really wanting to leave to go home. We've told him why he's there and that he needs to get stronger and be less confused before he leaves. So while we were there he was bargaining that he would leave with us for a bit to go to his house and see his cats. Then he'd come back because he needed to be there to get better. Carter asked if he could have a cookie and Jeremy said, "You take me home and I'll get you a cookie, buddy!" I was cracking up. When we left Jeremy wanted to go with us and told my dad, "You stay here and hold down the fort here. I'm going to see my cats and I'll be back." I so wish there was some way we could bring his cats or take him to his cats because he loves them so much and I know he misses him. There's just no feasible way to do it. He's starting to remember more now and isn't as confused. He still randomly says, "I don't remember," and I know he's frustrated with his brain being jumbled. He now remembers he is hurt and needs to be where he is to get better. He's still not totally rational, but more so than he was before. Baby steps each day! Now on to cute pictures of my littlest cutie!

My mom found some adorable little bloomers for Elise with a heart on the booty. When I saw them I knew we had to do a photoshoot for her first Valentine's Day! I pulled out all the accessories I have, because with my love for the holiday I have them aplenty, and we got busy. Elise woke up before Carter from their afternoon nap so we had plenty of time. I let her crawl around and do her thing for the most part, just throwing accessories on her every once in a while. I love her on her tippy toes when she stands and I'm glad I caught her in action doing just that! She wasn't a huge fan of the glasses and I can see why as they were hard to see through, but I tickled her while she was wearing them so I could get a smile. Cheating, I know, but the end result was just too darn adorable! There really aren't many things cuter than a two-toothed grin and chubby thighs! I could look at these pictures all day! It wasn't until just now as I was getting ready to post these pictures that I realized Valentine's Day was Elise's last first holiday and I got all emotional that I hadn't even known at the time. Then I stopped for a minute to think and realized Easter isn't the next holiday, St. Patrick's Day is! So we still have one more first holiday left!

Her little tippy toe stance makes my heart melt!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
If those don't make your day brighter, I don't know what will!

4 comments:

  1. "No autographs, please!" Miss Hollywood!! Loved. Loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! Goes perfectly with the sunglasses pictures!

      Delete
  2. I just caught up on a bunch of Jeremy updates. I know he has a long way to go, but I am so glad to see that he is making so much progress. I experienced an mTBI years ago and was unable to remember what happened the day of my accident. At first, I was (I imagine) blissfully unaware of the difficulties I was having. The moment I realized my brain wasn't working like I knew it should was a very weird moment. It is strange to have the metacognition to know something is off, but not be able to understand much else. I'm sure he'll have quite a bit more time of being frustrated with his brain being jumbled but it does get better, especially once you're able to remember more and more things after the incident. My injuries were much milder than Jeremy's, but I hope my story can provide a bit of insight and hope. Looking forward to reading more about his progress. -Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine if would be extremely frustrating! It's amazing to me how well he's coping!

      Delete