Friday, February 5, 2016

Jeremy Update

I spent the night with Jeremy last night. Thomas had been with him in the evening and when I arrived he said Jeremy was giving him high fives and knuckles when he asked. I was impressed but Jeremy was pretty tired when I arrived so I let him rest. Not soon after I laid down in an attempt to go to sleep, Jeremy somehow wiggled his legs off to the side of the bed. I walked over to him and asked if he wanted back in the bed and he shook his head yes. I went to the nurse's station to ask for help getting him in bed but they had just sent quite a few nurses to lunch so it was a long wait. During our wait Jeremy repeatedly asked for help. I couldn't tell if he was saying, "Help, please," or "Help, Liz." Today he said mom when referring to my mom, so I think he may have in fact been saying Liz last night. I felt helpless because I knew I couldn't safely get him back into bed by myself but he was asking for help and was agitated. Eventually he grabbed me by the front of my shirt and pulled me close, then reached around and slapped me in the back of the head. When I looked into his face I could see he was upset and hadn't intended to hurt me and was shocked he had done it so I reassured him I knew he didn't mean it and it was okay. His eyes changed back to calm almost immediately. He was also occasionally reaching over and slapping me on my side. If he got too rough I would remind him to be gentle and if he continued, I would take his hand and show him what gentle was and tell him I liked it when he was gentle. I was impressed with how quickly that modified his behavior. Once he was resituated and back in bed I told him I was going to bed. After I laid down he looked over at me and I told him I was still there and waved at him. Then he raised his eyebrows at me and puckered his lips into a kiss and sent me a few that way. It was the sweetest. Throughout the night he would look over at me and even roll to his side and peer at me through the hole in his bed rail, it was so cute and endearing. We have all heard him say words, mostly help and curse words. I imagine it will be quite entertaining to see what he has to say once he begins talking. Today my mom asked him to pass something to my dad and he was able to do so. He also gave both my parents a hug. I am so pleased with his progress and just know he will continue to move forward. We are all looking forward to what he picks up and remembers next.
Elise says, "Yay, Uncie J! Keep working hard!"

No comments:

Post a Comment