Sunday, February 14, 2016

Jeremy Update

I spent the night with Jeremy last night and, thankfully, it was mostly uneventful. I woke up once to find him sitting on the edge of the bed with his legs over the side attempting to get out of bed. I reminded him his leg was broken and he wasn't supposed to get out of bed without help and he laid back down. His overnight nurse was awesome and really went above and beyond to take care of him. He had an IV port in each hand which both had been in for nearly 10 days. She felt they were unnecessary as they haven't been used so she talked to the charge nurse and then removed them in the morning. She didn't let Jeremy's verbal displeasure bother her at all and did what she knew was best for him even though it wasn't the easiest option. I really appreciated that as I have felt we have encountered that a decent amount with the staff at this new facility. They will skip out on things they should be doing because Jeremy puts up a fight. Now that Jeremy is able to eat semi-solid foods such as pudding, bananas, and peaches, they send him a tray for each meal. I took Carter up to visit in the morning and Carter was so excited about the food and wanted to feed Jeremy. Jeremy let him do it even though he can feed himself and wanted everyone to see. He said, "Look Carter's feeding me pudding. He's so cute!" It melted me. Jeremy had stitches in his head from where the shunt was placed into his skull and they took those stitches out today. They took all his leads off so now all he has left is the tube feeding which he really needs because he's still weighing in under 100 pounds which is over 40 pounds lower than what he weighed before the accident. They are talking about weaning him from the tube feeding and only using it at night to help increase his appetite during the day as he hasn't felt like eating his food much during the day. I really enjoyed this morning I told him all the food he had and then asked him if he wanted it. He picked the chocolate pudding and I pulled the lid of and had him smell it. He said, "That smells so good!" My parents have been noticing Jeremy seems to have some hearing loss in his left ear. When they snap their fingers or make noise by his right ear he turns to look, but he doesn't when they do it by his left ear. He also keeps trying to clean his left ear out like he thinks there's something in it keeping him from hearing. My parents brought Jeremy his phone yesterday because he'd been asking for it. Today my mom sent him some pictures in a text message and he responded so I decided to text him and got tears in my eyes when I got my first text message response from Jeremy in over a month. It has been so emotional and uplifting as each form of communication is unlocked and is used once again. We continue to move forward, slowly but surely!
My first text conversation with Jeremy since the end of December.
Another successful text!

2 comments: