Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Two Boys and a Very Tricky Door

Today is one of our days with Jake.  I've been impressed that each time Jake is here Carter does a little bit better with him.  He hasn't been as jealous and even played with cars while I fed Jake.  Normally he wants to sit in my lap while I feed Jake so he can get attention too.  When Jake arrived this morning Carter even clapped out of excitement and couldn't wait to see him.  When I got Jake up from his nap Carter heard me and came running in to see him.
Riding bikes together.
I asked Carter to show Jake how to make music on his car.
We did have a hiccup this morning but it didn't have to do with them not getting along.  Carter loves to shut doors, especially the door to his big boy room.  Then he'll stand in the room and yell "mommy" until I come open the door.  He was doing it just like usual this morning as I was putting Jake down for a nap, no big deal.  Except when I went to open the door for him, I couldn't get it opened!  I realized the door was locked which I hadn't even realized it did.  I looked at the knob and there didn't appear to be a slot for a key.  I panicked and rammed the door with my hip, it didn't quite budge although the wood cracked.  Then I ran outside holding the baby monitor so I could still see Jake and looked at the windows.  I could tell there was no way I was breaking into one of them, that was the whole point of getting new windows after we got robbed.  So I went back inside and stood at the door thinking, all while listening to Carter cry for me over and over.  I called Ty, no answer.  I called my mom, no answer.  I called my dad, no answer.  As I was standing pondering what to do or who to call next I decided to try a credit card.  I grabbed a Baby's R Us VIB card out of my wallet and tried using it to unlock the door while I called Jeremy.  Jeremy picked up the phone as I unlocked the door.  Carter very happily came running out of the room to me, crisis averted.  Now what do I do to keep him from accidentally locking himself in again in the future?  I think that will be a solution for Ty!

8 comments:

  1. Funny!! I know not to you at the moment . . . but funny! Grandma Cox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I didn't panic immediately which helped. It is funny thinking back on it!

      Delete
  2. Good ole' credit card trick!! When Megan bought their new home, the guest/spare bedroom locked their guest inside on two different occasions! First was Scott and Kim and Scott somehow took out the pins and removed the door as it was like 5 a.m. Aunt Gena's happened when they went to bed and wanted back out, Uncle Karl calling Scotty's name out loud!! They then figured out that the door knob was backwards due to the previous owners having a special needs teenager in that room!! Could lock her in! (Which breaks my heart to think of, special needs not withstanding!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm impressed with Scott taking the door off. That's a very sweet dad to not wake up his son and daughter-in-law!

      Delete
  3. It's nice that he's getting used to sharing his mom. And locking the door--hilarious (afterwards).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to check out the damage I did to the door. Ty hasn't noticed yet...

      Delete
  4. Oh trust me...Scott make-shift hammering the hinges definetly woke us up!! That's when they were visiting to install our downstairs bar though so my sleepy brain just assumed Scott was getting an early start to the work that day and I rolled over and went back to bed! Haha!

    ReplyDelete