Saturday, August 9, 2014

Our First Day with Jake

Friday Jake came over for a "trial run" at our house.  His mom starts back at work not this coming week, but the week after so we'll be without him for a week.  He arrived around 8:40 and stayed until 4:20.  I was impressed with how well Carter did, especially in the afternoon, and it was crazy how I immediately just went back to taking care of a baby rather than a toddler.  The craziest part was realizing how much I miss having a baby.  That's kind of hard to believe, isn't it?  To set things up I have to let you know that Carter woke up that morning overly clingy.  I don't know if it was his molars that are bothering him, the storms (we had thunderstorms during the night), or just an off day, but he followed me around hanging onto my legs and crying mommy.  He was only happy if I was carrying him.  That didn't bode well for an 8 month old coming over and needing to be bottle fed and carried.  I was a little bit worried about how Carter would do considering how clingy he was being and his recent slapping behavior. 

When Jake arrived Carter was a bit jealous.  His mom needed to get to work and was going over Jake's schedule with me and how to use formula (since I've never done it before) and Carter wanted attention.  While we were talking he reached over and slapped Jake in the head.  Not a great start.  I grabbed his hand, told him "no hitting", checked on Jake's head, and distracted him with something else so Jake's mom didn't have to wait out the whole time out ordeal to finish her explanations.  When Jake ate breakfast and Carter had his morning snack Carter of course was desperate to try Jake's food.  After breakfast it was time to give Jake a bottle.  Jake is absolutely hilarious.  Once he saw his bottle he started squealing, laughing, and clapping.  I couldn't sit down to give him his bottle fast enough!  I pulled out Carter's pop up house to entertain him while Jake ate.  He played in it for a little bit at first and then it was like all the sudden he realized, someone is in my mom's lap and it's not me!!!!  So he stood at the chair and fussed to be picked up.  I pulled him up and let him sit beside us in the chair.  Jake was squirming as he ate and Carter didn't appreciate the random foot jabs to the head put was happy beside us for the most part.  He even wanted to help hold Jake's bottle and watch him eat.  At one point he pulled the bottle out of Jake's mouth and opened his own mouth.  I told him "no" so he put the bottle back in Jake's mouth.  I was quite impressed with him.
I didn't purposely cut Jake out of the picture, but figure it's best to use pictures where you can't see his face since I didn't ask his mom for permission to post pictures of him.

The funniest part of the morning was when Carter was rocking on his rocking monkey and Jake wanted on so I asked Carter if it was okay and put Jake on behind him.  They were hilarious rocking on the monkey together (while I held Jake on, of course).  It seemed like we hadn't been playing for very long before Jake was ready for his morning nap.  His naptime routine is super easy.  I gave him a pacifier and a blanket, laid him in the Pack N Play, told him night night, and left.  He rolled around for a bit and then he was out.  I put the Pack N Play in Carter's room in the morning so I could watch him sleep.  Carter and I read some books and played outside before I noticed Jake moving around and sitting up in the Pack N Play.  I let him do it for about 30 minutes thinking he might fall back to sleep because he'd only napped for an hour and his mom said his morning nap usually lasted 1.5 to 2 hours.  He didn't go back to sleep, but never fussed so after 30 minutes we went in to get him and Carter was actually really excited to get him up and see him.
Carter riding Harper while Jake napped.
Watching Jake on the monitor.

Carter and Jake ate lunch at the same time.  When Carter was done eating his lunch he wanted to help feed Jake and even snuck one of Jake's raviolis into his mouth, little stinker!  Soon after lunch it was time for Carter's nap.  I pulled the Pack N Play into our bedroom in case Jake was ready for a nap while Carter was still sleeping.  I usually rock with him for a little bit before laying him down in bed.  He had no interest in rocking while Jake was crawling around playing so I just laid him down.  He cried for a little bit because he didn't want Jake to be up while he was sleeping, but fell asleep pretty quickly.  I was so excited to have some one-on-one time with Jake.  He is honestly the sweetest little baby.  I always thought Carter was an easy baby, but I hate to say it, Jake puts him to shame!  I told Ty I hope baby #2 is like Jake!!!!  I mixed up another bottle and sat down with Jake to feed him.  While I was sitting there looking down at him I missed nursing so much.  I loved nursing and hated to stop, but once Carter weaned I never looked back.  I was surprised that I suddenly was desperate to be at it again.  While Carter was napping Jake's favorite toys to play with were the door stopper and a hanger.  He is crawling and doing a darn good job at it! 
Carter feeding Jake lunch.
Actually putting the food on his tray.

Jake watching Carter nap.

I was prepared for Jake's afternoon nap and Carter's nap not to overlap at all.  I wanted to go in with low expectations.  But after Carter had been asleep for about an hour Jake started rubbing his eyes and his mom told me to go ahead and try putting him down when I sent her a picture of him playing in Carter's car toy, so I went for it.  He rolled around for a while and then was out.  Carter took a 2.5 hour nap and Jake went down a half hour early, so their naps overlapped by an hour and a half.  It worked out so nicely!  Carter woke up from his nap and I didn't make it in to his room quick enough because I was messing with the dogs so his cries woke Jake up.  After naptime Carter and Jake were quite the pair.  Carter would push the button on his Elefun game to make music, spin circles, and dance.  Jake was all eyes for Carter's dance moves, danced a little himself, and even clapped for Carter.  Jake was laying in the hallway so Carter laid down beside him, then looked over at Jake, and slapped him in the forehead.  I told him "no hitting", checked on Jake, and put him in time out.  I'm not sure that the time out is working.  I think it may be my very stern "no" that's working.  While Carter was in time out he just sat there patiently waiting for the timer to go off, no crying or anything.  Jake didn't cry at all but was a bit caught off guard.  I took Carter over to check on Jake and apologize.  He very carefully reached out and stroked Jake's head.  It was very sweet.
In the hall together.
Carter smiling at Jake who was smiling at him while he was in time out.
When Jake's mom came to pick him up I was sad to see him go.  I had enjoyed him so much and Carter had really warmed up to him.  Gosh, Harper even liked him.  I think she prefers babies before they start walking.  She love, love, loved Carter until he started walking and now she's a bit more cautious.  She followed Jake everywhere he went and was constantly trying to lick his face.  He would scrunch up his nose and eyes and push her away.  I'm telling you, he's one of the cutest babies I've ever seen!  I'll make sure to get permission from his mom so I can post pictures next time, it just slipped my mind yesterday!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that Carter looks so precious even when in timeout??? lol....also, the image your writing created of Jake & Carter on the Monkey Rocker warmed my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was laughing so hard! It worked out great until Carter rocked really hard, flinging his head backward, and slamming heads with Jake!

      Delete