Tuesday, April 15, 2014

We Can't Catch a Break Around Here

After getting called to pick Carter up, due to him running a temperature, half-way through the day last Monday (well, 40 minutes from a half-day so I was charged a full day even though I'd been at work for over 3 hours) his grammy came to watch him Tuesday through Thursday so he could recover.  He went back to daycare on Friday and was back to normal for the weekend.  Then he woke up Sunday morning with the inside corner of his left eye all red and swollen.  He wasn't running a temperature and was acting normal other than the puffy eye.  I decided to give him some Tylenol for the inflammation only to look over after giving him the correct dosage for Tylenol to notice I had picked up Ibuprofen by mistake.  So I had given him over double the recommended amount of Ibuprofen.  Ty's grandma wasn't worried, so I figured I didn't need to worry either, but I couldn't help it.  I decided to call Poison Control just to be on the safe side and they told me it was fine, to just make sure he drank plenty of fluids.  Crisis averted!
Poor buddy's eye was so swollen!

With Carter being sick we haven't been getting as much sleep as we'd like around here.  Last week he was waking up 3-4 times at night because he just didn't feel good.  Friday night he was down to only waking up once and then coming to bed with us around 4 am.  Saturday night he slept until 5 am so I brought him to bed with us for an hour.  Sunday night he was up during the middle of the night again.  We took his temperature Monday morning and it was in the low 100's.  His eye was still swollen, but not too bad.  Since his temperature was 100.3 and he can't go to daycare if it's 100.4 or above I stayed home with him, leaving me just 2 or 3 sick days for the remainder of the year.  I hope the month of May is kinder to my Carter man than the month of April has been!  Carter woke up still running a temperature this morning so daddy stayed home with him today. 
Snuggles with my poor, sick baby!
 
I'm looking forward to next year when I no longer have to worry about sick days.  When I don't have to fret about whether to send him with a 100 degree temp or not because I'm almost out of sick days.  When I don't have to work on typing up lesson plans for a substitute while Carter cries and clings to me, desperately wanting rocked and more attention because he doesn't feel well.  When I won't have to go to work and leave him at home with someone else.  While Ty and my mom are both amazing caregivers and I know Carter is just as well off with them home as he is with me, there is something about leaving your sick baby that is just heart wrenching.  Knowing my baby is sick and not being the one to soothe him and rock him to sleep leaves me feeling sad all day long.  Being home with a sick baby is definitely sad, no one wants their baby to be sick.  But being away from your baby when he/she is sick is so much worse!  Only 6 and a half weeks left, but who's counting?

No comments:

Post a Comment