Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Baby Joins the Family!

This morning started at 5:30 am.  Carter was up and I wasn't ready to get out of bed so I had him lay in bed with us for half an hour.  That way even though I wasn't sleeping, I was still resting.  After breakfast Carter was insistent on waking his daddy up.  He kept walking over to the closed bedroom door, beating on it, and reaching for the handle (once he gets a few inches taller we are in trouble).  It was cute so I took a picture and sent it out to his grandparents.  Ty's parents don't keep their phones in their bedroom and I'm not sure what mine do, but they never get woken up by early morning texts.  I was surprised to get a text back from Ty's mom since it was so early.  She responded that Carter had woken his grandpa up instead because she had her phone by her bed since Megan, Ty's cousin, was at the hospital.  I was sooo excited and couldn't believe we hadn't received notification beforehand.  Then she said Megan's water had broken at 12:45 am and I realized why she hadn't told us. 
Wake up, daddy!
 
I was so excited that I was having a hard time focusing on even really fun stuff like reading a book to Carter.  I knew it was going to be difficult to stay focused at work, but with young children it's impossible to be too distracted.  I could feel the excitement bubbling up all morning and told everyone I saw that my cousin was in labor.  I had my final evaluation with my principal during my plan time and excitedly shared the news.  We then spent the first 5 minutes of my evaluation meeting talking about babies and labor.  It's always so interesting to hear other people's labor stories.  She said the one thing she had asked her husband to do was count, but he was so nervous he couldn't even count and was saying 1, 2, 4, 7...  I thought that was hilarious!  I didn't know it yet but baby Garrett had been born moments before my meeting!
Sweet baby, Garrett!  Love those little lips!

As I left the meeting I received the text that he had arrived.  I couldn't wait to see pictures and the rest of my plan time widdled away without much production.  I swear if I didn't have students around I wouldn't have gotten anything done all morning, I don't know how Ty's mom did it!  At lunchtime I got a picture of his sweet face and all of his stats.  It's been a good day.  A day full of excitement and love.  We haven't met the little guy yet, but boy is he already loved!  I can't wait to smell him for the first time and to sneak a touch against his skin.  Welcoming a new baby into the world is amazing even for the cousin-in-law!
Carter is so excited to meet his new cousin!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! The tears from your sweet heartfelt words! Thank you!!
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrett is so cute, and I love the note and the look on Carter's face.

    ReplyDelete