Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Proposal

Showing off my ring at the trails after Ty proposed.
It happened three years ago today.  The day Ty asked me to marry him, I said yes, and the whirlwind of wedding planning began.  It was a Sunday and we were visiting my parents.  Ty kept asking me to go on a walk with him and I didn't really want to.  I had gotten a migraine the day before and still wasn't feeling up to par.  Finally he told me he needed the exercise and I agreed.

We leashed Harper up and drove to the Wilderness Trails which was also where we took a walk on our first date.  Ty was holding Harper's leash in one hand and my hand with the other.  We talked as we walked and it seemed like just an ordinary day.

Ty kept turning his head and looking back at some people walking behind us.  I thought it was kind of strange, but chalked it up to him worrying about Harper (she's timid around people she doesn't know).  Apparently he was waiting for them to turn down a different trail so they wouldn't walk by as he popped the question.  After they turned to walk a different way Ty started reminiscing about our first date.  He mentioned how that day was perfect and how he hoped it would be an even better day today.

I was surprised by how sappy he was being, but was still none the wiser to his plans.  We were crossing over a large concrete bridge when he pulled me in for a hug and a kiss.  I laid my head on his chest and noticed his heart was pounding.  He asked me if I noticed how fast his heart was beating and I said yes.  Then he asked me if I knew why and I said, "Because you are exerting yourself?"  He said "No, because I'm going to ask you to marry me."

My mind started reeling and I couldn't believe this was it.  It was the moment I had been waiting for.  But then he just stood there and I stared at him.  I started to feel disappointed and decided he must mean he was going to propose to me sometime, but not today.  Ty later explained that Harper had pulled on the leash and he had stalled in fear she would pull loose when he bent down.

After what seemed like 5 minutes, but Ty swears was maybe 30 seconds, he got down on one knee, pulled a ring box out of his pocket, and asked me to marry him.  As I stood waiting for him to propose it was like my brain had stopped working.  Then when I looked at the ring box and saw it was red I panicked, I had never seen a red ring box before.  I grabbed the box and opened it to see a beautiful ring.  I don't really remember what happened next.  I do know Ty stared at me waiting for my response.  In my head there was no reason to respond, of course he knew I wanted to marry him.  When I finally realized I hadn't given a response, I yelled yes and wrapped my arms around him.  I couldn't believe it had happened.  I was going to marry the most amazing man in the world!
At that point in my life it was the best day I had ever experienced.  I was so happy, so excited, so full of love.  When I look back it was an amazing day.  There were so many emotions.  I imagine the butterflies, nerves, and excitement I felt were no match for what Ty felt (he will be sharing his story tomorrow).  

We have added so many more amazing moments together.  Days filled with emotion.  So many of those days were a mixture of the same feelings: nervousness, excitement, and love.  Our wedding day, the day we found out we were pregnant, the morning my water broke and Carter was born.  When I look back on each of those memories I am filled with love and happiness.  Ty made me so happy the day he asked me to marry him and he has made me happy every day since.  He is such an amazing partner and I'm thankful for every day I get to spend with him.
We copied the picture from the day we got engaged on our honeymoon with Ty's ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment