Monday, September 9, 2013

Long Run Done

This weekend I had a 12 mile run on my to-do list.  I hadn't done a long run in a couple of weeks for various reasons, so I knew I had to get it in this week.  I was hoping to be able to dominate the run like I had my most recent long run.  My last 12-miler I went out in 9:00 pace for the first half and 8:20 pace for the second half.  Part of me really wanted to shoot for a run like that, but I also knew it had been a few weeks and I wasn't sure how it would go.

Ty stayed home with Carter while he napped and I took off for my run.  I felt sluggish during the first mile which I ran in 9:00.  Pretty typical for my runs these days, I start slow and feel sluggish the first mile.  I didn't feel like I picked up the pace, but looked down to see I'd run the 2nd mile in 8:35.  I figured I wouldn't be able to hold that pace and that mile must've just felt easy because my 1st mile was so slow.  I was surprised when my I completed my next mile also in 8:35.  I averaged 8:37 pace for my first 6 miles.

When I turned around I decided to pick up the pace a bit.  I knew if I ran the last half of the run in under 8:30 pace I could finish my run with an average of 8:30 pace.  Mile 7 was 8:20.  I felt really good and decided to hold the pace there and then try to pick it up some more the last 3 miles.  Typically I think about a 12 mile run in quarters and chunk it into 4 different 3 mile stretches.  Sometimes I'll set goals for pace within each quarter.  Most of the time I just shoot for my last quarter to be my fastest.

I finished mile 10 in 8:13 and mile 11 in 8:08.  I told myself if I want to run a half-marathon at 8:00 pace I should be able to run my last mile of a 12 mile run in 8:00.  I picked it up for the last mile and finished mile 12 in 7:48.  I felt awesome.  I love runs where I am able to progressively pick up the pace throughout the run.  My 2nd half of the run I averaged 8:11 pace.  I couldn't believe how good it felt.

Back when I set my sights on running a half-marathon at 8:00 pace I was afraid it was too lofty of a goal.  I thought I might have to re-evaluate closer to race time and go for a slower pace.  Now I'm thinking it's something I can actually do.  I'm getting pumped for the half-marathon in November and I still have 2 months of training to get there.  I may not be anywhere near my half-marathon PR of 1:31, but I'm ready to set a postpartum PR!

And just because they're both so cute...
Practicing his standing!

Linking up with Ashley for Move It Monday:

4 comments:

  1. Where are Ty and Carter in that picture? And he is standing so well! (Carter, Ty's not doing too badly either.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went by the venue for Carter's birthday party and signed a contract. I'll send you pics soon! Your comment about standing really did make me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  2. You amaze me you speedy woman you!

    ReplyDelete