Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Our First Day of Summer



Today was Carter and my first day at home together for the summer.  No work.  No daycare.  Just Carter and mommy hanging out all day long!  We had an amazing day that started with some snuggles in bed and then Carter laughing during a diaper change.


If this video doesn't work you can watch it on youtube here.

We read a couple books and wrote them down for the summer reading program.  I signed Carter up for the program last week.  I am so excited about it!  I looked through the programs offered and saw they have “My First Storytime” offered at many library locations for newborns to 2-year-olds.  I can’t wait to take him!
Carter snuggling a burp cloth on our drive yesterday.
We then went on a 3 mile run.  At first Carter looked around and played with his blanket.  Then he started rubbing his blanket on his face, sucking his thumb, and fell asleep.  Lately when I would wipe his face off with a burp cloth he would grab it and snuggle it like a blanket.  So I got out the blanket we got as a present from our obstetrician and he loves it.  I smile watching him with it because I always snuggled my blanket as a child.
Napping during our run.
Outside we read another book, played with some bubbles, took a walk around the yard, and just sat for a while listening to birds.  It is the best feeling having Carter cuddled up against me.  It was the perfect day to be outside with overcast skies and a high of 80 degrees so I didn’t have to worry about Carter getting too hot or too much sun.

Checking everything out while in his Bumbo.
I decided to make enchiladas for dinner and had wanted to buy Carter a swimming pool so we went to the store.  I planned it all out and decided I would put Carter in his ErgoBaby carrier while we shopped.  I picked out a small plastic swimming pool and went inside.  After I got a cart I looked down and noticed Carter’s left leg was purple.  I freaked out realizing the carrier must be cutting off circulation to his legs.  I took the carrier off and walked around holding him in one arm and pushing a horrible cart with jankety wheels with the other.  It was all I could do not to steer into every aisle I tried to go down.

Finally I realized when I had used the carrier before Carter was facing toward me, not facing out.  So I put the carrier back on and faced Carter toward me.  It worked out perfectly and made it a lot easier to finish my shopping.   He very happily looked around and held onto my shirt with his sweet, little hands.

When we got home I prepped the enchiladas and then made Carter baby food for the first time.  I just mashed up a banana and added some breastmilk.  When I was a baby the only food I wouldn’t eat was bananas.  I planned to give Carter a small bite to make sure he liked it first just in case he was like me.  I ended up adding too much milk so I had to add more of the banana too.  Luckily he loved it and ate quite a bit.

I was surprised as Carter’s bedtime neared.  When I was working I would get sad when it was close to bedtime because I didn’t want him to go to sleep.  Even after spending all day long with him, the same feeling crept into my chest when I looked at the clock and it was 7:00.  I guess some things may never change.
A cute, little duck on his cute, little tush!
Carter wore his jammies from his Grammy and Grampy Hurford for the first time with a duck on his bottom.  He fought sleep but eventually fell asleep with one arm wrapped tightly around his blanket.  I went in to take his blanket away after he fell asleep and had a difficult time prying it out from under his arm.
He had a death grip on that blanket!
Tomorrow I have a mandatory training on some new curriculum we will be implementing next year.  Thankfully it’s only a half-day training, but I’m still sad I won’t have all day to hang out with my little buddy again.
   

2 comments:

  1. I had a lot to catch up on! It was all very cute, and I enjoyed the pictures. I missed his May pictures, and don't have one for my calendar. Where are they, I need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 5 Month post http://www.arunningmomma.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-letter-to-carter-at-5-months.html

      Delete