Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Ugly Sweater 5k #2

After the disappointment that was the Ugly Sweater 5k #1, I knew I needed to tone down my expectations for the rest of the winter. Although it is so much fun to run faster each time you race and to keep knocking seconds off your PR, it isn't feasible to think you can do that for months on end, especially with 9 races in 7 weekends. I had hoped to run faster than the Jenks 5k at that first Ugly Sweater 5k and my legs rebelled. With 7 races in 6 weeks on my legs at that point they were just fatigued and ready for a break. Coming out of that race I knew I needed to ease up in my next few races. So my goal for the 2nd Ugly Sweater 5k was to run around 6:45 pace or so which would be a decent tempo run for me. I wanted to still break 21 minutes but I also didn't want to further fatigue my legs so if the pace wasn't there, I wasn't going to force it. I figured I'd go out at what felt comfortably hard and not push too much. That approached worked out wonderfully. The difference in how my legs felt during the 2nd Ugly Sweater 5k and the 1st was night and day, thankfully!
Wearing the beanies we got for registering and posing with our awards.

My plan was to run a 2 mile warm up, the 5k, and then a 2 mile cool down. That way with the beer mile added in a little while after the 5k I could get 8 miles in for the day. We arrived at the race later than anticipated which has I guess become our new norm. So I only had time for a mile warm-up. I was running back up toward the race start as they were doing the National Anthem and decided since I wasn't going for a fast time to go ahead and take my chances with dashing to the restrooms really quickly. I came back out right as they finished the National Anthem and ducked into the corral next to dad with time to spare. As we were standing waiting for the race to start I saw the girl I had outkicked for 2nd overall female at the Turkey Trot standing closer to the start. When I saw her my competitive side kicked in and I really wanted to attempt to beat her again. But then I reminded myself of how my legs had felt the previous week and I was committed to running my own race and just doing what felt right without pushing too much. We took off at the start and there were quite a few women ahead of me. I was surprised that the girl from the Turkey Trot wasn't farther ahead of me as she had run her first mile there really fast and was ahead of my friend, Sara, for at least part of it and Sara ran the first mile in 5:52. I had caught up to her and the friend she was running with by the first mile and cruised on by them. I hadn't really paid much attention to how many women were ahead of me since I wasn't planning on racing or trying to finish as one of the top 3 females. The first mile had some gradual but long downhills which helped me run it faster than my other two miles. My first mile split 6:32 which was faster than I thought it would be.

By the turn around point I realized there were no women ahead of me and not many men. I got to see Jeremy, Thomas, and dad run by going the other direction. Then Ty came along pushing the kids who were really excited to see me. Mom was a bit behind him running with Fezzy. I slowed up a little bit during the 2nd mile but my legs still felt good. They didn't burn and feel heavy like the week before but they also didn't feel awesome like I could really kick it up a notch and race. I'm hoping I get them back little by little. I went through the second mile in 6:45, so right on target for where I hoped to be. With a mile to go I didn't have anyone within striking distance and didn't want to run too hard anyway so I just held steady for a 6:44 last mile. I was pleased to run that mile faster than my 2nd mile, especially because even though the inclines were very slight, it was the only mile with any incline at all. As I was approaching the finish line the announcer said, "Here comes the first female finisher." The guy finishing closest in front of me immediately looked back to see how much of a lead he had, it was significant. It made me laugh though as he seemed worried I was going to outkick him. I had a lot of fun during the race and enjoyed cruising in the last portion of the race rather than attempting to sprint it in. The announcer held his hand out for a high five which I happily gave him as I neared the finish line. I saw I was going to easily finish under 21 minutes and finished out the last 0.12 of a mile in 6:18 pace. I finished in 20:48 which put me at 6:39 pace. Although barely faster than my time last week, I was thrilled with my race. I was so happy to feel almost back to normal and was pleased that 6:39 pace had felt relatively comfortable rather than miserable like the week before!

 
 
 
 
I was 5th out of 268 total finishers and first of 177 female finishers. They didn't take me out of the age group awards so I also won my age group. For finishing as the top female finisher I was given a neat looking cutting board. Jeremy finished the race in 21:18 which put him 7th overall and 2nd of 26 finishers in his age group. He got what we thought was a coaster for placing in his age group. Thomas finished in 23:05 which put him 19th overall and 2nd of 9 in his age group. He was really excited about his coaster which I realized was actually a magnet. He said he was going to use his as a coaster anyway. Dad finished 27th overall and 2nd of 16 in his age group. He finished in 23:58 and received a coaster/magnet as his age group award. Ty ran the race with the double stroller, finishing in 32:05. He was 121st overall and 17th of 26 in his age group. Mom ran the race with Fezzik again. She finished in 33:04 which put her 131st overall and 7th of 19 in her age group. Carter was really snuggly after the race and we all attributed it to him being tired. Later than night he threw up and we realized it must have been because he was sick.
Carter snuggling Thomas after the race.

 
 
 
 
After the race I made sure to drink 2 entire bottles of water while running my cool down so I would be hydrated before running the beer mile. I wasn't sure how it would go as I just drank a glass of wine after finishing a 5k at the Wicked Wine Run and really felt the effects of it quickly. I had planned to run a 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down so I could total 8 miles for the day including the beer mile but ended up only running a mile warm up so I ran a 3 mile cool down. I felt like that actually worked out really nicely in preparing me for the beer mile which was run a little less than an hour after I finished the 5k. I decided to do a separate post for the beer mile because it was so much fun and I felt like it deserved a post of it's own. Watch for it coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. And a nice picture of my running partner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the guy who looked back at the end fearing you'd outkick him had heard how good you are at outkicking teenagers, haha! I'm so glad you felt better, and congrats on another win! I love the pictures of everyone - really good shots!

    ReplyDelete