Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Beer Mile

When my mom signed us up for the Ugly Sweater 5k #2 there was the option to also run a beer mile. I was immediately interested and got excited about the beer mile. I'm not sure what exactly it was about the race, but I think it was mostly just that it was something I had never done before and I love new challenges. Back in college the guys on the cross country team ran a beer mile at the track where they pounded a 12 oz beer before running each lap, drinking a total of 48 ounces of beer by the time they finished the race. Although I enjoyed watching the race, it didn't appeal to me and I never had an interest in running a beer mile myself. It wasn't until we were discussing the Ugly Sweater 5k that I had the desire to run one. This one was a little different and involved less beer. The course as out and back on a street and only involved drinking a total of 24 ounces of beer with the option of drinking eggnog instead. But I'll be perfectly honest here, I don't really like eggnog. I might enjoy sipping say 3-5 ounces of it once a year but nothing beyond that and especially not chugging a total of 24 ounces! How the race worked was you grabbed a cup of beer or eggnog and then headed to the start line. At the start of the race you chug your drink and then run a quarter mile out to the next table where you drink your next 6 ounces. You run out and back twice, running a total of 1 mile and drinking a total of four cups. You have to drink your cup within the chugging station, there is no drinking while running.
A picture mom took of us after the race.

After the 5k I did a longer cool down than usual of 3 miles. That ended up working out really well for me. I returned from my cool down and changed into a dry shirt under my ugly sweater, grabbed a doughnut to eat because I didn't want to drink 24 ounces of beer on an empty stomach, went to the restroom, and then it was time to head to the race start. I also made sure to drink plenty of water after the 5k. I drank two bottles of water during my cool down. I knew the race wasn't chip timed and I was curious to know what my time was so I decided to start my watch at the beginning of the race. I didn't really think that through on how it would effect me getting off the starting line. I started my watch and then started to chug. By the time I put the cup to my lips there were people already taking off running, Thomas included. I hadn't chugged anything in a few years so I was out of practice. By the time I chugged my drink and took off running there were a lot of people ahead of me. That was pretty motivating to me and I took off hauling. I didn't pass Thomas until we were nearly to the next drinking station. I ran hard enough that it took me a moment to catch my breath before I could chug the drink but by that time the chugging was starting to come back to me. Thomas and a few others who entered the station after me were done before me and off running. As I passed Thomas again I think we said something to each other but things were getting a little blurry for me by then.
Chugging our drinks at the start of the race.
Thomas getting off the starting line quickly!
 


The third chugging station was really when I got into my groove. I actually beat people out of the station who entered it ahead of me. I just had one more out with a drink station and then it was back to the finish line. I was having a blast and hadn't looked at my watch at all during the race. By the last station I just lifted my cup up and poured it down the hatch without a moment's hesitation. I hadn't been paying attention to the people around me other than Thomas so it wasn't until that last stretch toward the finish line that I realized there were only 2 guys ahead of me. One had a very sizable lead and the other was within striking distance. Here's how my brain normally functions in a race, "That guy's not that far ahead of me, I can probably catch him." Then I take off and give it my best throw down effort to pass him/her. This is how my brain functions after drinking 24 ounces of beer, "That guy's not that far ahead of me, I can probably catch him. Ahhh, f*ck it!" And then I continued on at the pace I was already running. The race was so much fun! As I neared the finish line I realized that even though they weren't using chip timing in the race, they had the finish clock going so I didn't need to start my watch after all. After I finished and started to walk away, someone came over and asked me my name because I was the first female finisher. She had my time written down at 6:29. I was pretty surprised by that because other than the first quarter mile portion of the race I hadn't pushed the pace too much, I just ran hard and had fun.
Ty enjoying his beer during the race.
 
Ty having a blast during the race!
 
 

Thomas rocked it in to the finish line and then dad and Jeremy. Jeremy drank eggnog and I can't imagine that went down very easily. Ty finished with a huge smile on his face and all the pictures that had been taken during the race were of him sporting a giant grin. It was cute to see him having so much fun! I was surprised that I didn't really seem to feel the effects of the alcohol. I wandered inside to eat another doughnut and made sure to pound another bottle of water while I was at it. Then it was time for awards. They did the 5k awards and then the beer/eggnog mile awards. When I went up to receive my award for the 5k I had an empty water bottle that I had been heading to throw away along with a cup of coffee. As I reached for the cutting board award I realized I was pretty tipsy as I was unable to juggle all my items and the race director had to take my coffee for me after I poured a decent amount of it down my arm. For winning the beer mile the award was a giant wooden beer stein she had ordered from Germany, but it was stuck in customs so for the meantime they gave me a Starbucks gift card. I felt like that was actually a better award but I haven't seen the beer stein so I'll see what I think after it arrives. After the race mom, dad, and Jeremy took the kids home with mom driving the car. I stayed with Thomas and Ty. We headed to a nearby bar that was giving away free beer to participants of the race. I drank water while they drank the free beer so I could sober up to drive them home. All in all it was such a fun race. I really enjoyed it and am already looking forward to running it again next year!
Picking up my 5k award after the beer mile.

10 comments:

  1. You ran your beer mile 1 second faster than the first woman at the FloTrack Beer Mile World Championships!!!!!! I follow FloTrack on Facebook and info about it kept coming up on my feed last week. Seriously, here are the results: http://www.flotrack.org/result/9272-2016-flotrack-beer-mile-world-championships
    Time to go pro???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, they drink twice as much beer as I did and I bet they have to use bottles or cans. Ours were in cups which made it much easier. It was fun enough I'd do it again, I don't know about drinking twice as much beer though! Haha

      Delete
    2. Well, you have something to work up to now - dream big goals, right? :-)

      Delete
    3. I just need to add some beer chugging into my speed workouts, lol!

      Delete
    4. The cup holder of the stroller would be perfect for storing my beer cans, lol!

      Delete
    5. Hahahahaha! You'll also have to look up the Guinness World record for a stroller beer mile. I've seen a lot of stories about stroller records being broken recently. I'm sure you have that one in you! Hahahaha!

      Delete
  2. It was a fun race too watch. And I love the pictures, they turned out good and you all look so happy. Well, except for Thomas who is running hard to get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! Thanks for watching the kids so we could run it!

      Delete