Thursday, December 17, 2015

Carter's 3rd Birthday Party

Now that Carter is old enough to verbalize favorites and opinions a lot more I really wanted to let him choose his birthday party theme. I got a bit later start than I would have liked on party planning because he kept changing his mind. First he said lions, then whales, then giraffes, then hippos, then back to lions. I suggested a zoo theme so he could have all the animals and he said, "No, just lions!" So I started coming up with lion ideas. Then he said he wanted Elmo but then changed back to lion. Then he said lions and tigers and meerkats and giraffes. I tried zoo and jungle neither of which he wanted. So we were back at lion and I told him once I sent out invitations that was it, he was getting that party and couldn't change his mind anymore. I showed him the invite, he loved it, and we were set. As I was planning the party I would show him ideas and he'd ask why there weren't any tigers. I wished he had picked lions and tigers because there were so many more tiger ideas than lion ideas and how cute would "Lions and tigers and birthdays, oh my!" have been for a theme? Oh well! Carter had requested a lion costume to wear at his party so his Oma crocheted him a lion mane and tail which he loved but decided not to actually wear at his party.
Carter's awesome lion mane!
We settled on a lion face cake with cupcakes as its mane and my mom ordered it along with cookies from the bakery we love to use in my hometown. Then it was on to decorations. My mom picked up lion figurines from Dollar Tree for us. We used those and streamers along with paw prints to decorate. I also had a lion mane craft for the kids if they wanted to do it. We made a homemade pizza with a lion face made of pepperoni and Ty's mom and dad helped us out with a lion fruit tray and a lion carrot tray as I decorated and Ty made the pizza.
Our homemade lion pizza.
The lion fruit platter.
Lion carrot plate.
Decorations outside.
Paw prints leading to the party.
I loved the cake so much, it turned out so cute!
The adorable lion cookies!
Food table, cake table, and birthday banner (re-used from last year).
Decorations on the kid table.
Carter was so excited about the party he didn't want to nap but I was finally able to get him to nap in our bed by laying with him for a bit. He woke up about an hour before the party and wanted to help decorate so I let him put some streamers outside. He was thrilled! I also let him take the streamers in his room to decorate and it was so cute to see what he did afterward. As his friends arrived he excitedly greeted them and was the best little host! He took them over and offered them a cookie and juice box, even suggesting flavors of juice! He was desperate to sit by his friend, Brylee, and even gave up his special birthday seat to do so. He pulled out all the stops with his buddy, Grant, pulling down the bowl and offering him lion animal crackers. Once Grant knew where they were he was hilarious going over to grab one every once in a while.
Carter offering animal crackers to his guests.
Carter had a blast with his friends at the kid table.
Brylee making the lion mane craft.
Grant working on his lion mane.
Brylee's finished product.
Treat bags for the kis, Carter picked out the bags. I put lion animal crackers, a lion coloring page, and 2 crayons in each one.
When we were ready for cake I asked Carter to tell his guests it was time for cake. He turned and announced, "Okay everyone, we're doing cake now!" It was so cute! I wasn't sure what he would think of us singing him Happy Birthday but he loved it and giggled through most of it. Then he was able to blow out his candles one at a time. He had such a blast playing with his friends, eating cake, and opening presents. We lucked out that the weather was awesome and the kids even spent some time playing outside. It was supposed to rain but held off until our guests were leaving the party which worked out in our favor. I was impressed with how well Carter handled all the attention and excitement. It was a wonderful party and a great day! Now if I can just get him to decide on a 4th birthday party theme a bit earlier, planning next year will be easier! Read about Carter's first birthday party here and his 2nd birthday party here.
Listening to everyone sing "Happy Birthday".
Blowing out his candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment