Friday, December 4, 2015

Glow on the Green

I was excited to attend an event this past Sunday called Glow on the Green. It was the 4th year for the event but we hadn't been any of the previous years. It was held at a really neat park about 15 minutes from our house. We frequented the park this summer for storytime, free concerts, and a special children's day event. The park is mostly just a large space of grass tucked away within downtown. There is a small splash pad and 2 separate stages on each side. It works out great because one act can be setting up as the other is playing. We've been to lots of concerts where people played back to back due to this. We've also been to events where there is live music on one stage and activities on the other. The event advertised Santa, arts and crafts, vendors, hot chocolate, and the lighting of the park. The Turkey Day 5k we ran on Thanksgiving started and finished at the park so we had seen all the trees and bushes wrapped in Christmas lights then and pointed them out to Carter to get him excited. The event started at 3 with the lighting ceremony at 6 sharp. The lighting ceremony was staggered with lightings all over town spaced out within 30 minutes of each other so you could travel to each one. I searched multiple times and never could find a listing of all the lightings throughout downtown.

When we arrived there was a group playing different kinds of drums along with some singing and Carter loved it. He headed straight for the grassy area and stood staring and listening as they played. Eventually he started dancing. We searched for a while before my mom asked and found out where Santa was. We headed in and only had to wait behind one other kid for Carter to visit Santa. He wasn't so sure about getting in Santa's lap until Elise did and then he hopped in with her. My dad said Carter was all eyes for the girl waiting in line behind us and he thought looking at her was Carter's motivation for getting in Santa's lap. I didn't notice because I was too busy taking pictures. I did notice that Carter wanted to stay after his picture was done to watch the kids behind him get their picture with Santa and then tried to follow them out of the room, so I'd say my dad was right. I wasn't sure what Elise would think of Santa but actually felt Carter would be more of a wild card since Elise is so easy going and I was right. She immediately looked up at Santa and started to pout her lip, but then changed her mind and reached for his beard. Then she started playing with the ball dangling from his hat. She is just such an easy baby!
Carter intently watching the drummers with Opa.
 
 
 
Can you tell which child allows me to pick out clothes and which doesn't?

 
After pictures with Santa we headed back out to the pavilion area where Carter continued to dance in the most hysterical ways and would yell out, "To the rescue!" mid-dance while thrusting his fist into the air. I was loving every minute of it. Then we headed back down to the grassy area and pulled out a ball I had packed for Carter to play with. Much to Carter's delight the girl he had been eyeing by Santa and her little brother came to play with us. We played for a long time before the ball rolled down a hill and the other kids wandered off as we went to fetch it. Carter lamented that he wanted to find his friends. I suggested we go back to play some more and see if we could find other kids to play with. He sadly said, "I don't want to make new friends. I want to play with those friends." So we walked a few circles and then he wanted to go up to the pavilion area to walk around. He knew we were there for lights and was excited to tell me the lights were on. Since it had gotten dark the lights in the ground had been turned on. I giggled and knew how much he would love the tree lighting if he was excited about the flood lights!
Sweet dance moves!

With about 30 minutes to the lighting Carter started getting tired and wanted to stand next to me to twirl my hair. My mom and dad treated us to hot chocolate and we all attempted to retain body heat in the meantime. Carter wanted to go back up to watch kids get their pictures with Santa and the line was out the door. We decided next year we'd go early to get our picture with Santa, leave to eat dinner, and then go back for the lighting. It wasn't too busy until about 5-5:30. Then it started getting packed. They had us count down to lights on which Carter loved and then all the lights came on at once. It was so awesome. There's just something magical about watching a bunch of twinkling lights come on at the same time. I just kept looking to my left, to my right, behind me, and back. I couldn't get enough of the beauty. I was holding Elise when the lights kicked on. I didn't look at the lights, I looked down into her face. It was so neat to see her reaction, her surprise, and the lights reflecting in her eyes. I loved every part of Glow on the Green, from playing soccer with Carter, taking pictures of the kids with Santa, and seeing the lights illuminate the night. A few days later we were driving in the dark and we could see the lights from the highway. It was awesome. I'm already looking forward to our next visit to look at lights!
Thomas got cold and borrowed Carter's stocking cap.
Elise borrowed her Oma's gloves.

Enjoying some hot chocolate while we waited.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I think next year we should leave the two babies home to watch football, and the rest of us can take the bus to each lighting. Then we can call one of them to come pick us up. :)

    ReplyDelete