Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Weekly Learning Theme: Health

One of the themes I wrote down when I was first coming up with ideas was health. I wanted a less involved theme for the week between Thanksgiving and Carter's birthday theme and I thought health would be a winner. There were so many fun activities to go with the theme and I could narrow the theme down to a healthy tooth theme later on.

Listed below are the objectives I am focusing on for the themed weeks.  I have updated our objectives a second time because I felt like we were ready to focus on something new.  I plan to continue to implement activities to practice and reinforce our previous objectives while putting more emphasis on our new objectives.  Some of them won't necessarily be targeted with specific activities during our weeks, but I wanted to list them to help me remember to practice them continually.  The highlighted objectives are ones Carter received exposure to during our theme this week:
  1. Continue to improve fine motor skills and drawing (specifically I'm looking for him to be able to copy a circle and a square as well as draw a person with 2-4 body parts).
  2. Understand same and different.
  3. Accurately tell stories as well as retell the story from a book. 
  4. Use age appropriate scissors. 
  5. Develop a better understanding of time (for example, be able to describe when things happen using morning, afternoon, night)
  6. Group objects based on a category (sort by defining feature).
  7. Count and understand what the numbers mean.  
Activities/Movement:
  • One of the first things we did was talk about how to be healthy. We talked about how it is important to eat healthy foods, exercise every day, get plenty of sleep, and keep our bodies clean. Then I took a piece of paper and drew four boxes, one for each of the ways we talked about to be healthy. I read Carter the sentence I wrote and asked him to draw himself doing a healthy behavior. He drew himself riding his bike, eating blueberries, taking a bath, and hiding in the covers of mommy and daddy's bed.
  • Carter and Elise both really enjoyed our sensory bin for the week. The base of the bin was pasta which unfortunately Carter kept feeding to Harper. Then I threw in plastic fruits and vegetables from Carter's shopping basket toy as well as foods made out of Duplo from his food Duplo set. They had free play with the bin. We also used the plastic foods to sort into kinds of food. We talked about how the foods were the same and how they were different.
     
     
     
  • I read Carter a fun poem I had seen in a book somewhere and he filled in the end with different options for healthy breakfast.
 Bears eat honey.
Cows eat corn.
What do you eat when you get up in the morn?
  • At the half marathon expo one of the booths was giving out plates that were divided to show how you should fill your plate with half of the plate reserved for fruits and vegetables, a quarter for protein, and a quarter for grains. Carter really enjoyed using the plate. He'd point to each section and tell me what needed to go there after I'd told him what we were having to eat.
  • We used a Highlights memory game I had saved called "Get Moving". The cards pictured animals doing different sports. First we talked about the cards and Carter matched the cards to each other. Then we played memory with 4 sets of the cards. Afterward we used the pictures to discuss how the different sport balls look the same and how they look different.
  • This week was perfect timing to discuss the need to cover our mouths when we sneeze or cough. I showed Carter how to do it with his hand and with the crook of his arm. Then he practiced doing it himself.
  • We talked a lot about exercise and how important it is to be active to keep your body healthy. One day we played all different kinds of games with balls. We started with basketball using the hoop Thomas got Carter for Christmas 2 years ago. Then we played baseball with the bat and ball Mary got for Carter. Then we were on to football and soccer. After we'd played each game we looked at the balls and compared them talking about how they looked alike and how they looked different. It was cute when Carter pointed out that the football was shaped more like a triangle than the other balls.
    Playing basketball.
    Elise enjoyed playing with all the balls as well.
  • We have a hand washing song we sing as we wash our hands. We sang it as we washed our hands during the week. I also told Carter there are other songs we can sing as we wash our hands and we practiced sining Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and Happy Birthday.
  • Carter has just recently started flossing on occasion. It's hard for him to do, but he loves to try. I thought it would be fun to try it in a way that would be a little bit easier. I also wanted to give him a visual for why we have to brush and floss. I used Duplo as teeth. Then I stuck Play Doh on the front of the bumps and Play Doh in between the bumps. I had him brush the "teeth" and we talked about how it only knocked the germs and food off the front of the teeth. Then I had him floss with yarn and we talked about how that pulled the germs and food out from between the teeth.
Craft:
  • I had planned to use some parts of foods to paint with like an apple core, an orange peel, and celery, but we just never got around to it. When we were at the art museum for museum babies, they gave us a paper to use to record the colors of foods we ate. We used that sheet and colored the circles so Carter would know what color foods went there. Then I had him draw the foods he ate next to the color they were. I'm counting that as our craft since we didn't get to our original craft idea.
Special Snack:
  • Every day either at lunch, dinner, or snack we ate a different fruit and a different vegetable. I took a picture of Carter eating and then we made an "I eat fruits" book and an "I eat vegetables" book.  We also made sure to drink lots of water.
Make Believe:
  • As I gave Carter a bath we talked about the different things I did to get him clean and where I scrubbed him. Then he picked up his rubber duck and pretended to give it a bath.
Songs:
  • We sang "Brush, Brush, Brush" to the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat". I feel like I'd heard it somewhere before but I wasn't sure of the lyrics so I just made some up:
Brush, brush, brush your teeth.
Brush them every day.
Brush them up and brush them down.
Brush them all around!
  • We also sang an Elmo tooth brushing song. Back when Carter fought me on brushing his teeth I found this video on youtube to show him. Every once in a while I'll sing it to him as he brushes his teeth so I we sang it multiple times this week. We just do part of it: Brush, brush, brushy, brush. Carter brush your teeth!
Carter brushing his teeth.

Field Trip/Interactive Experience:
  • Carter got to hold Harper's leash as we took Harper on a walk. He always gets so excited to hold her leash. We talked about how all animals need exercise and how exercise helps our bodies.
  • We went to Bikes and Balls as a way to be active and exercise. We talked about how running to chase balls and riding a bike are both exercises we can do. We also visited the Children's Museum and looked at the Grossology exhibit which talked about germs, bodies, and bodily functions. Carter liked the large moving character who talked about snot.
    Carter riding his bike at Bikes and Balls.

















Books:
  • Strawberries Are Red by Peter Horacek
  • Brush, Brush, Brush! by Alicia Padro
  • Pony Brushes His Teeth by Michael Dahl
  • Eat by Dwell Studios
  • Snack Time for Cow by Michael Dahl
  • Burger Boy by Alan Durant
  • Yum Yum! by Yusuke Yonezu
  • Chomp and Chew to a Healthy You! by Molly Carroll
  • Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett
  • The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood
  • Germs are Not for Sharing by Elizabeth Verdick
  • Eating by Liesbet Slegers
  • The Busy Body Book by Lizzy Rockwell
  • Good Enough to Eat by Lizzy Rockwell
  • Eating the Alphabet by Lois Ehlert
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? by Jane Yolen
  • To Market, To Market by Nikki McClure
  • Maisy Takes a Bath by Lucy Cousins
  • Curious George Discovers Germs by Erica Zappy
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath by Mo Willems 
  • Caillou Takes a Nap by Anne Paradis
  • Sleeping by Liesbet Slegers
  • This Is the Way We Eat Our Lunch by Edith Baer
  • Oliver's Fruit Salad by Vivian French
  • Gregory, the Terrible Eater by Mitchell Sharmat

No comments:

Post a Comment