Sunday, December 29, 2019

Christmas 2019

Christmas Eve morning we were still in Topeka. That morning I was getting ready to go for a run and Elise really didn't want me to go. She decided she wanted to go with me so I decided to just run a mile for my running streak so she could run with me. She ran a solid 3/10ths of a mile before wanting to walk and pretty soon thereafter decided she wanted to play on the playground rather than run. So I ran out and back from the playground over and over while she played. Then she needed to use the restroom so we ran over to the bathroom. Afterward we ran back to the playground and I was almost at a mile so I ran a few laps around the playground while she played. She wanted me to play on the playground with her after I finished my run so we stayed to play for a bit before heading back to the house. We packed up and headed home a little after 10am. We had a few stops on the way home and one that took much longer than anticipated so we didn't make it home as early as I'd hoped. It was pretty rushed getting unpacked and then getting dressed for church in time to leave the house around 4:20 after getting home at 3:30 but we got it done! I wanted to get to church early to make sure we could get seats together. Thomas stayed behind to help mom and dad unload their car so they wouldn't have to worry about anyone stealing stuff out of their car while we were gone. Thomas, mom, and dad arrived at the church a little after 5:00, luckily we had saved them seats, otherwise they wouldn't have had anywhere to sit. The church was packed which was awesome to see! We enjoyed a beautiful service with a full orchestra, choir, and lots of Christmas carols. The best part is always singing Silent Night by candlelight. The look on Elise's face when I peeked at her holding her candle was magical. I was so glad the kids chose to go to service with us instead of going to their classrooms for Sunday School.
Thomas took a family picture for us before we left for church.
Carter sitting over by himself to hold seats for Oma and Opa.
Ready to sing Silent Night.
Lighting their candles.
Elise super thrilled about her candle!
I love the photo ops our church sets up for holidays!
I had dad sit because I thought it would be easier for him, I didn't think about the boot being in the picture. He was recovering from surgery to fix his heel spur.
The outtakes leading up to this picture are hysterical!
When we got home from church we had dinner. Elise was so adorable reminding us all to cheers partway through dinner. Then we let the kids choose one present to open early. Elise knew exactly which present she wanted to open and it turned out to be the Frozen Lego set we got her. Carter chose a present he could tell was Legos as well, his was a Toy Story 4 roller coaster set. They both wanted to work on their Legos which put us past bedtime but we went ahead and let them. We set cookies and milk out for Santa. When we were making the cookies Elise said she wanted to give Santa a small cookie because he is fat and she doesn't want him to get too full. Carter chose a large cookie so Elise decided Santa just needed one cookie. The kids were so cute in their matching Christmas jammies!



Christmas morning I woke up at 4:30 so excited to see the kids open their presents I couldn't fall back to sleep. I didn't fall back to sleep until after 5:00. Every noise I heard after that I jumped to attention thinking maybe the kids were awake. There were a few false alarms. I woke up at 7:00 and decided to read for a little bit while I waited for the kids to wake up rather than attempt to sleep any more. That worked out perfectly because the kids were up at 7:15. They were excited to show us they got Ninjago Legos and an Usborne book with stamp pad for making fingerprint pictures under the small tree in their room. The kids and I played in Elise's room for a while. Elise made pictures and started her Legos while Carter put together his Lego set.




Oma came in and told us Opa was awake around 7:30 so we went ahead and headed out to see what Santa brought the kids. Elise was really excited about her Elsa "Barbie" she saw at Sam's and asked for. Carter got a Lego remote control car and they both got slippers, a water bottle, and a Frozen Lego set from Santa. They were really excited. They had a blast checking out their stockings as well. While we waited for Uncie J and Uncie Taco to arrive, the kids ate breakfast and then opened their dig kits. Carter had a pirate dig kit and Elise had a gem dig kit. Then Carter wanted us to open our Santa presents so Ty and I opened ours while everyone looked in their stockings. Thomas arrived a little after 9:00 and Jeremy arrived a little before 10:00. After they ate breakfast and opened their Santa presents, it was off to the living room to pass out and then open presents. Carter did a great job reading the tags and passing out the presents.



It was so cute to see the kids watch each other open the presents they got each other. Elise was so excited to see what Carter thought and Carter had a hard time not giving Elise hints! Elise was adorable hugging people after opening the presents they got her. She told me "You and daddy got me so many books because you are nice!" She stopped to look through almost every book she got. She also wanted to open almost every present she opened as she went. Carter stayed more on task and made it through his presents quite a while before Elise did. She took a break to wash her Scruff a Loves and Carter helped her with that. Carter opened a box of Kinder Joy eggs. Elise really wanted some and found a box that looked like the same size as his. She was thrilled when she opened it and found it was a box of Kinder Joys! When the kids finished opening their presents, they went off to play while we started opening our presents. We play a game where you guess what your present is. If you are correct you get a point and you can add extra points by being extra specific. I won the game again this year. I was super disappointed because I tried to trick Ty by taping empty wrapping paper rolls to his slipper package, but he still guessed it correctly. While we were opening our presents, Elise came back in all dressed and ready for the day. She had a headband in her hair and was wearing her new purse. She also had makeup on. It was adorable! She sat with Oma the whole time Oma opened presents. Then we found a couple presents she missed and didn't open and she was thrilled to get to open more presents! One of the highlights was a joke book Thomas got dad for Christmas called Dad Jokes. Dad read us jokes and was just cracking up over them. Then Carter took over and started reading them. It was so entertaining!







This is how to open presents, haha!
Carter reading out of dad's Dad Joke book Thomas got him for Christmas.








That afternoon while the kids played, Jeremy, Thomas, and I headed to Turkey Mountain trails for a run. It was the first time in a very long time that all 3 of us ran together. I got to wear my new Goodr sunglasses I got from Alicia with our running buddy gift exchange. It was the first time I ran in the sunlight since I got them. We had such a wonderful run all together! It was crazy to run in shorts and a tank top on Christmas. I was really glad it was shorts weather because I got a pair of Oiselle running shorts with 6 (yes 6) pockets and was dying to try them out! I had fun running around in them yelling, "Head up, wings out," as I went, before my actual run! That evening we enjoyed leftovers for dinner and played some new games. The kids had a blast with all their new toys. There are Legos all over our house right now. I feel like it's going to take the rest of Christmas break to get our house back together! It was a wonderful day filled with love and memories made. Read about past Christmas' here: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013.
Wearing my new Goodrs.
Ready for our run.

6 comments:

  1. Priceless memories! I have a pair of Rabbit running shorts that are supposed to have 8 pockets, although I can only find 7 of them, hah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! I actually counted all mine and there are 6. I ran my long run in them that week and used a front pocket to carry 2 Gu's. On a different run I tried out putting my cell phone in one pocket and it worked out well too. The shorts are magic!

      Delete
    2. I need more of them in my life, haha! I also love dresses that have pockets.

      Delete
  2. Very fun to look at and relive.

    ReplyDelete