Friday, July 21, 2017

My Summer Reading List

With all the excitement of doing the summer reading program with Carter and Elise I decided to complete the summer reading program for adults. All I had to do was read 4 books and let the librarian know. I received 3 coupons: one to Panera, one to Mazzio's, and one to Wendy's. Then they added my name to a drawing for a free Kindle. I'm so glad the summer reading program got me motivated to read. I hadn't read a book for myself just for fun since the first trimester with Elise and before I read that book it had been since before I was pregnant with Carter. I love to read so my main problem is that I get caught up in the book and next thing I know Carter's waking up from his nap and I've gotten nothing done! So I tried to get things done first and then read for the last 30 minutes of nap time. It was good for Carter to see me reading and he loved to pick up my book and flip through it pretending to read the chapter book. I could tell seeing me read those books made him curious and want to read bigger books. I'm sure that will be a motivator as he gets older. I was impressed with what great books I found during the summer!  My summer reads:

Stay by Allie Larkin, I picked this book up while at the library with Carter. I went to see if they had To Kill a Mockingbird on the shelves and they didn't so I just grabbed a book by where it would have been as Carter took off around the corner. To my surprise the book was quite good! I'm a sap for books about dogs and this one was so cute. The dog in the book made me think of my parents' sweet natured, although giant dog, Fezzik.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, I re-read this book to prepare for the release of Go Set a Watchman on July 14th. Unfortunately I kept forgetting to put a hold on Go Set a Watchman so there are 373 holds ahead of me. Not sure I'll be reading that book in 2015! I love this book and I swear it gets better each time I read it. My dog, Harper, was in part named for the author and in part named for my favorite musician Ben Harper.

Hello From the Gillespies by Monica McInerney, I saw this book on a list of books that you wouldn't want to end. I would agree that it was definitely a book I didn't want to end. The characters are so likeable despite their flaws that I find myself randomly thinking of them and wondering what happened to them or where their story went after the book ended. I love books like that that are so good you think of the characters long after you've finished the book!

The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis, This book was promoted through the summer reading program as one of the books to read. Within the first 15 pages I had tears rolling down my face as Hattie's twin 7 month old babies died of pneumonia. I was reluctant to pick the book back up after that and thought about not reading any more, but Mathis had me hooked in somehow. The book was extremely well written and each chapter was written from the point of view of one of Hattie's 11 children. Although it seemed something fairly horrific happened to every single child I found myself reaching the end of the chapter wishing Mathis had written an entire book just about that character.

No comments:

Post a Comment