Thursday, May 1, 2014

Shenanigans for Days


These past couple of days Carter has been a whirlwind of a child leaving catastrophes in his wake.  He is such a calm and even tempered child that sometimes I forget he is only 16 months old and a boy.  Because after all, boys will be boys.  I get annoyed by the saying and wish people wouldn't say it at times, but it is true.  Through my years in the classroom I've come to discover that boys do tend to be a bit more rough and tumble than girls.  I fought it for a long time because I grew up with 2 brothers and was a bit of a tom boy.  Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of extremely calm boys and overly wild and crazy girls.  But as a momma of a boy I understand that broken things simply comes with the territory.  Anyway, the shenanigans began yesterday.

My sweet babay!
During bath time last night little mister got an unwelcome surprise.  He frequently holds onto an in-the-wall soap dish when he stands in the tub.  He was doing just that and slipped.  He didn't even fall down, but it must have been just enough force because it ripped the soap dish out of the wall.  Little buddy was fine, but the experience scared him and he began to cry.  It may have been the first time he ripped something off the wall, but I'm sure it won't be the last.
The damage.
Now we have a hole in our wall!
Then this morning I was in the bathroom straightening my hair and heard a strange noise.  Carter had wandered off and gotten into something.  I called for him and he happily came walking in holding a tiny container that I keep earrings in on my dresser.  I panicked and checked his mouth.  He had a small metal bearing in his mouth which I pulled out.  I went into our bedroom and found the bearings all over the floor.  I had forgotten Ty put them in my container when the drawer slide of our bed broke.  I called for Ty who came in and figured out how many there should have been.  We searched the carpet and found all but 2 of the bearings.  We messaged the doctor and he said if they weren't magnetic it wasn't something to worry about, but we could bring him in for x-rays to be sure he hadn't swallowed the 2 missing bearings.  We decided not to take him in since the bearings weren't magnetic.  I'm not convinced he swallowed him because when I pulled the bearing out of his mouth he still had some food from breakfast in his mouth.  If he had swallowed bearings, I figure some of the food would have gone down too.  Talk about stressful for mommy, though!  That's another thing that stinks about working is that I have to get ready by a certain time in the morning.  I let Carter wander off for about a minute at a time before going after him so it doesn't take me all day to get ready.  Now I can't even do that, ugh!

Carter helping search for the bearings.
Rolling around in the way.

To follow-up all the craziness, a couple stories about my baby being sweet and calm...  I absolutely love sharing food with Carter.  One of my favorite things is to have him nestled in my lap as I hand him or spoon him pieces of my meal.  The feelings are mutual.  It doesn't matter if we are eating the exact same thing, Carter would much rather eat it off my plate.  Lately when we get home in the evenings, I'll get an orange or other fruit, Carter will sit in my lap, and we will enjoy our snack together.


Carter man has become very well-liked at daycare.  He has his one little fan who follows him around all day and demands hugs while yelling his name the moment he walks in the door.  She cries when he leaves and reaches for him as I carry him away.  Now she's not the only one.  Yesterday when I picked Carter up at daycare I found him sitting on the floor with his arm around one of the little boys getting ready to move up to the one year old room (he visits frequently to ease his transition when the time comes) in a hug.  The teacher walked over, picked Carter up, and carried him to me.  The moment Carter was taken away, the little boy began to cry and reach for Carter.  He was still crying and reaching his arms out to Carter as we walked out the door.  Carter definitely got the character trait from his daddy that no matter where he goes and how hard people try, they just can't help but like him.  He's just so lovable and sweet.  I love that about my boys! 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I took quite a few and was cracking up looking back at them because Carter and I were making similar faces in every picture!

      Delete